Is arowana a good fish

bevin

i fully agree, an arowana is NOT a good beginner fish. start with a small community tank with some tetras, barbs, etc. and learn from there.

big fish are not good beginner fish. i waited over a year after starting up my first tank to get my oscar, and they don't get nearly as big as arowanas. do your research and read, read, read and read some more!

i fully agree, an arowana is NOT a good beginner fish. start with a small community tank with some tetras, barbs, etc. and learn from there.

big fish are not good beginner fish. i waited over a year after starting up my first tank to get my oscar, and they don't get nearly as big as arowanas. do your research and read, read, read and read some more!

I wanted a arowana when I first got into the hobby. It took 5 years before I was ready for one.

Get as big a tank as you have space for and can afford - that'll help you get used to large tanks. I'd say get something in the 4' range at least, if you can. Check the buy/sell forum to get good deals.

well obviously you shouldnt start out with a 26inch redtailgold but you could start out with a 2 inch jardini.

dont be discouraged by fellow a.a members.. this hobby is all about learning and the best way to learn is hands on experience..

well obviously you shouldnt start out with a 26inch redtailgold but you could start out with a 2 inch jardini.

dont be discouraged by fellow a.a members.. this hobby is all about learning and the best way to learn is hands on experience..

If you have any aro questions, Id ask this guy. He knows his stuff.

Hybrid- I don't believe I said anything discourage bevin, and if it was misinterpreted that way I am sorry. I did not discourage, but suggested another type of fish for a newbie fish keeper.

bevin-But if you have your heart set on a arowana ( I can understand why ) shoot as big as possible for tank. Don't look at any tank under 180, unless you want to have a grow up tank that is smaller. In that you will need a much larger aquarium in the near future. Before making any purchases, do tons and tons of reading, homework, and question asking. The internet is a great tool for fish research. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Tucker, hows the rtg pair doing?

Well said hybrid.

There's absolutely no reason why anyone with a large enough system can't keep an aro, whether they are new to the hobby, or not. Spend some time doing research, and make sure that when advice is given it's by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. (such as what temp an aro should be kept at) 78F that was suggested to you in another thread was poor advice. We have a new sponsor here on the forum (Shine Aquatics) that can answer most if not all arowana related questions.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Master of Puppets
Well said hybrid.

There's absolutely no reason why anyone with a large enough system can't keep an aro, whether they are new to the hobby, or not. Spend some time doing research, and make sure that when advice is given it's by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. (such as what temp an aro should be kept at) 78F that was suggested to you in another thread was poor advice. We have a new sponsor here on the forum (Shine Aquatics) that can answer most if not all arowana related questions.

ugh forget it

Edited by Master of Puppets

Well said hybrid.

Every care sheet I have seen for any arowana says mis 70's to mid 80's so it seem the both are right.

I have not had an arowana yet, but I do want to get a black and will be keeping my tank at the same temp as I keep my SA tank right now, 79f.

ok, hahahahahahhahaha. Thanks for the amazing laugh. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all arowana's grow to some massive size.. and to complain it's eating your guppies? ahahahaha

and quote " HELLO!. I HAVE A baby Pearl Jardini arowana for sale. it's aroung 3-4 inches long. i pay $80. (its eating all my Guppies) asking $40.thank you $40.00. firm."

There is a video on youtube of an arowana eating a duck!

Edited by Baos