cleaning the aquaclears

fishclubgirl

So am not happy with my aquaclears but think it's just time for maintenance. Am planning on taking them apart and cleaning the tubes and inside. Also will check the engine and lube it with some pam(fish safe unless they're being cooked in it). Probably will change some media too. Anybody have any other suggestions?? My tanks are overplanted, overfiltered and overstocked so I want my filters working excellent!!

I had mine gum up on me so I just used one of the cleaning brushes on the impeller shaft after I took the impeller out. Worked like a charm. I do notice with one of the ones I got used that after I do clean it, it's a bit noisy until it gets either some buildup on the shaft or centers itself. Something is worn but it works fine afterwards.

Well, I haven't seem many responses yet, so I guess mulms the word!!

If I can spare a filter to be out of commission for a day I'll soak it (not the motor or media)in a bucket of water with a tablespoon or two of bleach. It gets the really bad stuff that way. I use Q-tips inside the motor housing.

A thorough rinse though after the bleach solution.

"Mulms the word" bad!!! And here I was going to say "I'm going to have a mulm filled weekend". Thanks for all your help and will let you know on my aquaclear tuneup!!

My tanks are heavily planted but not overstacked yet - not unless Ceara and AM have any say.

I scrub mine out about every 6-8 weeks from the build ups. I use a baby bottle nipple brush to really scrub the impeller shaft out, a pipe snake for the intake and then have a fishy dish brush for the rest of the housing. Works like a charm everytime. The snail babies get a bit clogged on the sponge but a very quick rinse to preserve my bacteria seems to work. I use refillable media bags and it works great and I feel like I am saving money and probably am. My 1 filter is older than both my kids put together and have never replaced a single part.

I may try the pam trick but not sure mine need it.

Alright, who put in the subtopic??? May your tanks be filled with algae and pest snails,lol!! (If you have extra pest snails, my assassins are hungry!!)

Alright, who put in the subtopic??? May your tanks be filled with algae and pest snails,lol!! (If you have extra pest snails, my assassins are hungry!!)

LOL - remember I am still feeding 5 of your Assassins when they are full and breeding I will ship them back. I can't sustain any clutches in my tanks

I Love my AC filters and have about a dozen of them. I've never really had any problems with them. I clean out the bodies, tubes and motor about every 6 weeks depending on the tank and how fast they get "mulmed up". I use those pipecleaner brushes for the tubes and motor and sometimes Q tips for the motor too. Make sure you aren't jamming something into the motor that is too big(toothbrush) as you dont' want to bend the impeller shaft.

Okay the deed's done. 5 aquaclears de-mulmed and working much better. Thanks for all the tips, especially about cleaning around the impeller. Only complaint, first time, I took the plate off above the impeller, it flicked at me. So yes, I did get a good shot of mulm on my face, t-shirt etc. Werner,it sure smelled like detritus!! So my fish and myself thank everyone for all their help and now I have to go wash my face!!

LOL - I hate the mulm in the face you only do that once - well with each type of equipment anyways.

Good luck with the filters I'm sure they will be very happy with the thorough cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...