help! Glass thickness

jakdrob

hey, i dunno how it happened but the rear pane on my 72'' x 26'' H x 18'' cracked and i have to replace it, i can get a 10mm pane for free, question is.... Will this be ok if braced well? The tank has 1/2'' glass everywhere else, which is recomended. the other option i am thinking about is laminating another piece to it.. I don't wanna spend 400 bux on a piece of glass when i paid half that for the whole tank.. Help please

have you gone to a glass company to ask for their scraps? More often than not, when they're cutting for windows, they cut from HUGE pieces, and then simply throw them away in a bin! I would personally go with whatever the rest of the tank is made of...

here's a site that I found that might answer your questing though...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/planasystem/ig/Guide-Charts--Tables--Diagrams/Glass-Thickness-Calculator.htm

replacing a 26 inch tall tank is not a cheap endeavor.

MUCH cheaper to have the pane replaced.

Bring the tank to Calgary and I can have it repaired for you for a good price.

Whats a good price? I already removed the cracked piece, i don't wanna move it too much now

replacing a 26 inch tall tank is not a cheap endeavor.

MUCH cheaper to have the pane replaced.

Bring the tank to Calgary and I can have it repaired for you for a good price.

Whats a good price? I already removed the cracked piece, i don't wanna move it too much now

Just an idea-

I should be able to brace across the length of the back pane right in the middle and at the top,,, this will reduce the height of 'unsupported' glass. The 10 mm is free, and that price sounds good to me

so my plan- i am going to use the 10mm glass 26''x 72'' , I will euro brace it along the top with 3'' strips and use 2 3'' glass strips from front to back placed at the top evenly placed, standard brace. That should be plenty strong right?? Weigh in please

Search the DIY forum on MonsterFishKeepers.com - there was a thread on what to do with a broken tank. Make a BIG TANK!!! Check it out HERE.

so my plan- i am going to use the 10mm glass 26''x 72'' , I will euro brace it along the top with 3'' strips and use 2 3'' glass strips from front to back placed at the top evenly placed, standard brace. That should be plenty strong right?? Weigh in please

10mm glass is too thin for a 26 x 72 tank, if you use it you are just asking to have a blowout and it won't take long to happen. Save your house and your fish, spend the money.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to agree, do not use it. it will be too thin and break. i work for a glass company and you would be amazed at what could cause a break under pressure. think about your house and your fish. and the possibility of water flooding your house then causing a fire....sell it for a reptile tank and buy a new one.

i have to agree, do not use it. it will be too thin and break. i work for a glass company and you would be amazed at what could cause a break under pressure. think about your house and your fish. and the possibility of water flooding your house then causing a fire....sell it for a reptile tank and buy a new one.

Already bought a new tank, planning on sellimg the other for a terarium,, what can that fetch?

• 2 weeks later...