Just a dumb question

stribbelldk

So here is the situation. I had an electric yellow that was holding so I put her in a 15 gallon tank. After she spit the babies, I usually keep her there to recoup and get a few good meals before I transfer her back.

The other day I was going to move her but to my surprise, she is holding again!!

The only other tankmates are her babies, 5 babies (her 2nd time holding) and 2 albino bristlenose.

How did she get prego again? Can a fish have both male and female? I don't think so. Or can a cichlid hold sperm to fertilize her own eggs?? Or is she holding non fertile eggs?

Like I said, just a dumb question!

Derek

If she is holding eggs, I'd say they're unfertile, unless... how old are the last batch of fry (that are in this tank, also?)?

It could be that she decided to pick up her baby's again and hold onto them for a bit loner it happens. Also sometimes after a female lets go of her baby's she can still have a mouth that looks like she still is holding or sometimes they grab a bit of air from the top and old a air bubble in there mouth before realizing that she is not holding eggs.

The other fry that are in the tank are about 2-3 weeks old and are a nice size. I do not believe she has picked up her other "babies". I definately looks like eggs in her mouth. She is always hiding and will not eat. whereas before, after she spit the first batch, she was out swimming and eating like a pig!

I'm buffaloed.

She may still eat while holding if she gets hungry enough, or will just swallow the eggs.

It is odd that she would have a second batch, especially with no other compatible breading fish in the tank. If they are indeed eggs I would think they are not fertile.

Not sure if the eggs are yellow in color I think they are more transparent white than colored. (but I could be wrong on the color of the eggs)

Edited by randy