Cycle new tank

BettaVishVish

Hi,

A friend of mine is nice enough to give me hand to cycle my new 6 gallon tank. He is using fishless cycled method and has been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now.

Why does it take so long to cycle the tank?

Can I stop the cycle and use it right away for the fish? I am new to this, so any info or advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Hi,

A friend of mine is nice enough to give me hand to cycle my new 6 gallon tank. He is using fishless cycled method and has been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now.

Why does it take so long to cycle the tank?

Can I stop the cycle and use it right away for the fish? I am new to this, so any info or advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

It can take a little while to cycle a tank because you need to build up enough beneficial bacteria in your filter to break down ammonia to nitrite and finally to nitrate which is relatively harmless. If you were to interrupt the cycle without your ammonia and nitrite being consumed by the bacteria these two compounds would be in a high concentration and will cause stress/illness/ and commonly death in some fish. You're better off waiting imo.

timbruun gives good advice. If you can get a filter sponger or cartridge it helps to shake it off into the cycling tanks filter to 'seed' it with bacteria to kick-start the process.

Thank you for the responds smile.gif

@timbruun : as far as I know, my friend is using the bio media from his tank. But I'm not sure what's going & why the tank is still not ready. What I heard from him is the filter may not have enough bacteria..does this make sense?

@strayner : thank you for the explaination. Yeah..waiting is really pain. Is there any method to cycle the tank that quick enough but safe for fish?

My suggestion is to throw in some feeders and see how it goes. We don't have to deal with chloramines in Calgary(so far!!) so we're lucky that way. When I set up a new tank(which seems to be weekly lately!!!), I don't have time for a fishless cycle(as my fish keep breeding) so I just use an established filter and water from another tank. No losses so far(knock on head!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

what are your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte)

Hi,

I'm not really sure what the current level since I don't do the cycle myself. A friend of mine is doing the cycle for me..and the last time I heard is the nitrite level has dropped..it's lighter now. I'm hoping it'll be done soon.

I've tested Seachem's Stability's claim as has another on this site that says it'll cycle a tank in a week and by golly it works so get some and it might just get the tank ready in a very short time. Here is a link for you if you want some really good info especially since you are new. I wish i knew of this site and this forum when i first started so you are ahead of the game allready.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy your new betta.

L

Beginner FAQ's; The Nitrogen Cycle

I've tested Seachem's Stability's claim as has another on this site that says it'll cycle a tank in a week and by golly it works so get some and it might just get the tank ready in a very short time. Here is a link for you if you want some really good info especially since you are new. I wish i knew of this site and this forum when i first started so you are ahead of the game allready.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy your new betta.

L

Beginner FAQ's; The Nitrogen Cycle

Thank you for the link.

I'm sure i'll enjoy my betta..I can't wait now biggrin.gif