Filter options for my 180?

punman

Just got my 180 gallon and stand from Golds!! I was going to run an Eheim 2217 and two AC 500's (probably looking at 8 or 9 Frontosa but not sure yet). Golds suggested two AC 500's and a powerhead when I ordered the tank. I didn't want to go the sump routine.

When I picked it up, I asked to buy two AC500's. Dennis told me they would not fit. It's true. They won't and there is a glass lip extending out from the plastic black trim making the whole lip almost two inches.

Any suggestions on canisters? I own an Eheim 2217 and an Eheim 2213. Thought of maybe getting a second Eheim 2217 or Golds has XP3 I believe it is, for $170. That would make three canisters in there.

I like canisters but kind of wanted some HOB filtration.

Click this link for a view of the tank lip:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pun...180tankedge.jpg

Edited by punman

Yeah. It needs that for support. Short of trying to put a DIY extension onto the AC, I think you would be limited to canisters only. You could try this, but it would have risks as well. If not done properly, you could flood your house!! Maybe the canisters running UGF's? I keep reading threads of success, and failure on these.

Good luck! B)

Rob

LOL. Rob. My first thought was, How could I make the 500 into a mini canister. Flexible tubing on the intake, suction cup the unit to the back of the tank, and that is as far as I got in the 10 minutes before reading your reply. Easy part done, but now how to seal the top to run it into a spraybar and keep the ease of cleaning. Hmmmmmm.

What I would do is the 2217 you already have and another big canister filter(Ehiem 2217, 2215, 2028, xp3, maybe even 404) and powerhead or fluval plus, and the 2213 saved for something else

But you have so many options and it is whatever you want use

for min, your two ehiems would be fine but not great maybe add a powerhead cause you'd be pushing it

Also the xp's are a great deal bang for the buck, while it doesn't seem worth it to only buy another 2213 that can only run 65 gallons, go 2115 and up for an ehiem or some other company

Edited by vantgE

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be hung up on powerheads for filtration. The only real use they have is eliminating dead spots where detritus might build up, and even then that's often only an issue when using sumps (due to the usually single return). They add absolutely no filtration value to a tank (unless using a prefilter, in which case I'd personally rather add another canister).

As far as additional filtration goes, I would think that you'd definitely want more than 2-2217's. Probably want to go bigger, like the 2250 or 2260 (I've seen the monster that tc51 has on his 187 and it seems to do a great job).

One of our A.C.E. members uses powerheads with a plastic (PVC?) intake that has multiple stems (drilled out) on it with filter pads over top - seems to work very well. If you combined that with routing the output from the power head through an underground filter would that do the trick?

Edited by arixonbarnes

Well I havent compared them but in any case there is a general consesus that the eheim is always better, it's just what your willing to pay because the xp3 will also do the trick

Powerheads not only eliminated deadspots but the increase circulation will add to your bioload by utilizeing other surface areas more efficiently, the main value I see is mechanical if you can blow alot the crap in to your cannister you'll have a much cleaner tank

Edited by vantgE

Has anyone compared the Eheim 2217  witrh the XP3?

Would you rather drive a Ferrari or a Buick? -roll-

Just kidding.......not trying to invite hatemail from Filstar XP fans.

Both filters are great filters for their specific cost bracket. Simply a matter of personal preference and/or budget.

Coming from an Eheim fan, I totally agree with African_Fever. If I were you, I would invest in a 2260 and run your 2217 as well. Monster filtration for a monster tank. :boxed:

Doc_Polit B)

Edited by Doc_Polit

Hi there I have one , a 180 for dennis and I have three300 on it I just used a blowdrier on the tube and heated it up then slid it down in place worked for me ... I'll check the mes. one minute.....................here this is better the pump sits on the glass and the tube needs to be heated and then slid in place only took about 10 minutes to do all three... hope this helps... this is my fresh tank.....ciao David

post-38-1114956505