Questions about Pea Puffers

d0hb0y

I stopped by BA's today and saw they have Pea Puffers. I did some online research into them today and found out "Pea Puffers" are a type of Dwarf Puffers. There's not a lot of info on pea puffers (Or I couldn't find any info on them) so I guess my question is...

Are Pea Puffers just infant Dwarf Puffers?

Has anyone everyone had any experience raising Pea Puffers?

TIA!

I know of one member of ACE who was breeding them. They had a group in a 10 gal crammed with Java moss and snails. PPs are totally FW fish - no salt needed.

• 3 weeks later...

And cute too!

There's a rough 5 gallon rule and 3 to 1 females rule.

If it's your first time keeping them, I'd probably stick to that.

If you have a 10 gallon, you could get away with 2 females and 1 male, but that's the most I'd push it.

There's a really nice dwarf puffer forum you'll get first click if you googled it.

Males have less defined spots also and when they get older they develope a line down the center of their stomach. An important thing to remember about them is they will not take flake or pellet food (I've never heard of one anyway), I've had a group in a 20g for a few years now and I feed them frozen brine shrimp, blood worms and live snails from one of my other tanks. It's a great use for pond and ramshorn snails :thumbs: Also they can be sensitive to poor water so you'll have to be careful to keep up on your water changes and not overstock the tank. They are said to like mossey plants best but I've often found mine sleeping on top of the java ferns.

Edited by EowynJane