Lathaergic dying fry

Bluecan

Hey, I posted a few days ago about my ammonia levels being slightly high in my fry tank, ive corrected everything for a couple days now, but I am still having a few fry die off each day after spending a day or two at the bottom lookin weak, showing now interest in food etc, and then over time start to lose control and tople over until they finaly die. I have NO idea what this could be, any info or advice or clue would be appreaciated.

thanks

How do you check that exactly? .. Ill look it up, thanks....but wouldnt the fry be gasping at the surface if this were the case?

I just added a bubbler. After some more research i found that do to the ammonia spike some of the fish affected may just be too far gone to recover, they also recently went through a bout of ich and treatment so thats a lot of stress especially for such tiny fish

hopefully the added oxygen will help

With the ich and ammonia spike, you'll be lucky to save any if they are still fry. If they're juvies, you may be OK with the rest.

I'd be curious as what kind of fry they are. Different fish, different conditions. Too much current can be hard on certain fry and they may already have "ammonia burn" on the fins and gills.An angelfish spawn can go 'toxic" really fast when the water quality goes. Sometimes, it's mother nature's way of culling the fry. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

thanks for the help and info, i still have well over 100 doing well as of now, i agree about mother nature , the fact is that i likely would have had to start culling fry soon anyways. AS for the type, their parents are both short body texas', some of the babies are SB as well and some are not....so a more general explanation would be 'texas (carpintis) cichlids'

Umm i might be stateing the obvious here but we all end up overlooking it at one time or another and that is have you checked nitrItes after the initial ammonia spike? My sequence that i follow when i see fry or juvies in distress is as follows

1. Immediately add tonnes of air(not enough to create too much flow)

2. Check the levils (Ammonia, NitrIte, Nitrate, PH and Temp.)

3. If air doesn't help and levils are good then a water change is in order

4. For most fish i'll add some Epsolm and Aquarium salt (1tbs each/10 gallons)

5. Wait a day and if they are still sick and i can't find symptoms that point to something specific I consult the forum.

6. (Juvies only)If that garners no reuslts I add Jungle Paracite Clear and see how they respond.

(fry) I do another water change and hope for the best and if that still doesn't help i'll Half dose Jungle Paracite Clear.

I hope this might help. It's just my method i've worked out over the last couple of years and by no means am I an expert. The first 3 can't hurt to do, and really are essential first steps in diagnostics and treatement the fourth one you might want to be careful unless you know your fish as epsolm salts are a laxitive and Salt has been said to hurt a small handful of fish. And Number 6 well that's a judgement call since i don't like to use chemicals unless i can absolutely not help it and as the general cure all it is makes it worse than something that will specificly target whatever is ailing your fish.

Good Luck

L