Need fish to clean up my new plants

rjsomers

I acquired a few more plants from Big Al's last weekend and put them in a quarantine 30g due to the algae issues.

I need a fish that will goggle all this up. The only fish in the tank is a PK betta which can be moved. and an apple snail.

The plants in question are Narrow java fern, echinodorus uruguayensis, Crinum, Juncus Repens, another Echinodorus and there is java moss and Najas grass in this tank.

I do not want to use Excel as I never have good luck and I already have CO2 in the tank.

Thanks for any suggestions

Would love to know where to find locally as well.

Well they may have to stay in this tank as my other are a little stuffed.

This will be a grow out tank. these are being planted in clay pots with flourite/sand mix as it will be a bare bottom tank. CO2 is not pressurized its a red sea refillable, I can put my other one on if needed. Currently has 2 filters running with sponges from my other established tanks.

Any thoughts changes to make would be gladly appreciated!!

I will see if I can get a picture of the plant with the biggest issue.

The necessary algae crew, according to Tashiaki Ammano is 1 Ammano shrimp per gallon and 1 Ottocinclus per 5 gal. I like using Ammano shrimp - they're awesome for hair algae - and BN Plecos for tanks 20g and up (1 per 10g is a good start). Ottos are great for smaller tanks, but don't do well if nitrates get high (not a problem with healthy plants). IMO, MTS are also a necessity in planted tanks - they keep the substrate from compacting and allow for healthy roots throughout the tank.

Once you have a good CUC (Clean Up Crew), you shouldn't really have an algae problem, if you do, things are out fo ballance.

i would tend to agree with jason. ottos are a fantastic addition to any plant tank in my opinion. they stay small, are affordable(3 or 4 bucks each if not cheaper) they dont mess around with anyone in my tanks except when the corys lay eggs, and best of all they are always working. if you have an established tank im very sure youll end up lovin em as much as i do.

hope all goes well.

My established planted tanks are in great health - I have no issues with algae I just bought this plant that was covered but was only $4 (75% off) so decided to try and revive it.

I am really only looking for something to clean this plant up. What can I use for this plant in my bare bottom tank?

just give it time, if everything else is in balance it will go away. a bn pleco and just cut off the old leaves, they probably have the worst algae. you could also try scrubing off some of the algae. ameca splendens are good algae eaters, but they are aggressive. probably not worth getting them.

I was thinking of pruning the affected leaves and just getting into its flourite pot.

Should I use my ferts once or twice a week until this is cleared?

I use Flourish complete, trace, iron and potassium.

Maybe I will get a pair of BN plecos. They are cut and I can always use another cute fish for my daughter to gush over - LOL.

Maybe mine wont be to busy shopping at Ikea :tongue:

Are you trying to say that my BNs are too busy shopping at Ikea to breed??? And yes, the bettas are joining them on the shopping trip. In the meantime, your angelfish is making goo goo eyes at the koi girl. Anyhow trim off the leaves and fertilise once a week and I've probably got a BN or two for you.

Yes I am definately says your BN are too busy shopping at Ikea and they haven't had much luck convincing each other to get a great big shelving unti and some big tanks for the twinkle in their eyes kids to grow out in :hey:

I'd love a few BN - I will trim it back always so sad to do and fert 1 x wk. Now to find a better light for that tank. Damn 30" tanks.

Here is the after planting in sand and Flourite and heavy pruning. It has an AMAZING root system - I had to mutilate the plastic pot - its in about 10 pieces now.

post-4161-127035411303_thumb.jpg