force feeding a blue angel

Kim C

Have a pair of blues, recently acquired. Male is staying low in the tank, not eating, but doesn't appear sick (no obvious signs). All other angels and fish in tank very robust, eat well, and active. Water quality is excellent. Have tried other foods (live, etc) but still not eating. Moved him to a quieter tank with rainbows to see if that helps. Next step is hospital tank with salt and boost the heat.

But, these are obvious fixes. Anyone out there have something different? Expensive fish, but besides that, he is a living thing that I want to be able to help.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

kim

A lot of people have had success with soaking their food in garlic extract. NLS sells a pellet that is a bit higher on the garlic content - Thera+A.

As the angel is "blue", have you thought of anti-depressants?? All kidding aside, keep in mind angels are cichlids. A group of angels can be worse than teenage girls(here's hoping that no teenage girls take offense) and will shun outsiders. Putting the angel in a new tank and feeding bloodworms may just perk him up. Then I'd either put him in the old tank at night or just find another tank for him. My "shunned" koi girl met a boy and had a family when she got a new tank.

She picked the orphan boy too.

Hope your blue does okay and no prozac isn't going to help although we get it in liquid.

Edited by rjsomers

Garlic it will be! If he grows a moustache and starts behaving like the godfather, I'll know I am on the right track. Bloodworms will also be fed. Thanks to all who volunteered their help and knowledge. Ann Marie, you are a silly sausage. See you tonight.