do african cichlids change color based on gravel color

White Out

Yes I found this to be true as well. I have had white gravel in some of my tanks before and found that it made a difference on the color of the fish. As well a black rocks can sometimes do the same thing. Once I began keeping and breeding many different kids of Africans I used only natural rock colors and found that it was the best to show the full natural color of the fish....with the best food for the of course (New life spectrum) AKA (NLS) is what I used for the most part.

We usually see our fish from the side only, so we don't think about what they would look like to another fish in the water. In a natural river (or lake, etc.), if you look down to the bottom, it's darker, and if you look up to the surface, it's lighter. Most fishes' natural coloring is darker on the top and lighter on the underside to blend in with the environment and evade predators.

With a light bottom, your fish will feel insecure and exposed from above, and likely wash out it's coloring in an attempt to blend in.

Yes, placing certain species of fish in a tank with light (or dark) substrate, or light/dark background, can cause a morphological color change within the chromatophore cells of the fish.

As werner just stated fish do so to blend in with their environment. Some colors of substrate/background will enhance the natural color of the fish, some will cause them to take on unnaturally dark tones, others will cause the fishes colors to become lighter, or washed out.

I have that African cichlid mix from Big Al's that looks like crushed shells and it is natural in colour so the fish colours are good. Too extend the topic a bit I will ask this question. That gravel is rather course but seems to stop them from excavating too much except for my frontosa who likes excavating. Anyway I am thinking of setting up a 30 gal tank I have to try and see if I can get some to breed. Should I use the same gravel or go with the finer sandy stuff for that tank. It is funny to see cichlids at Big Al's suck up mouthfuls of the sandy stuff and "filter" it through their gills. What's better course or sandy?

I like sandy just because debris stays on top and eventually into the filter.

Gravel just acts like a poo trap. If you don't believe it, take a butter or yogourt sized container and scoop out a container of gravel and then see how much "mud" gets stirred up from doing that.

Edited by punman

I perfer sand with all my fish, esp shell dwellers. But most peacocks are sand sifters if not naturally than in captivity they acquire the habit. Just not too deep with sand as it could potentially harbour anerobic bacteria. I use catfish or goby cichlids to contstantly stir my sand so nothing bad can take over.

This being said my tank of black ocellatus has black fijin sand and they are much blacker and have much more hues of yellow and blue, than my black ocellatus that live in a tank with white sand, they tend to have more white on them and less black.

Im just buying a whole new setup off Sourceaquatics cant beat that deal for 525 a 180 gallon and stand

I usually use two inches max, less if none of the fish disturb the sand.

"...two inches max..."

That's good to know. I'm planning on putting egg crate plus under-gravel jets in my new 260 litre tank and was concerned about how much sand I would need. I might try to nest the UGJ's into the egg crate a bit in order to keep the lowest profile. Alternatively I could just cut the egg crate to size to fill up exposed surface on the bottom of my tank. At any rate, I'll keep the 2 inch rule in mind.

Thanks,

Stu

Thanks J I will remember that . I see what you mean by the Source deals. I have a buddy who wants a big bow front and they have a 92 g with stand cover etc for $750. Not bad. Are you trekking to Cowtown to get it?

Yeah or I may get my friend to pick it up for me. He owes me plenty of favors, but if he cant i will go get it, maybe rent a uhaul, my g35 aint much of a tank hauler