2010 Catfish Convention

syno321

Probably because there is an interested population there. ACE brought in some world class speakers at their last convention and there wasn't much more than a couple of dozen people in the audience to listen and learn. It seems like a real waste.

That seems to have happened here too, I am getting the imrpression. When was the last time Calgary had a full on fish show? Looks like both cities clubs have gone to pretty much just a big auction.

It is sad, but on the same token if there isn't an extended interest in the community, why would folks do so much work for such a small crowd?

When you have several hundred people in standing room only at the auction, but they duck out the back as soon as the speakers arrive, it's a pretty clear message from your target audience. Sad or not, you can't MAKE them stay even if it would be good for them, the fish they keep, and the audience involved.

The other problem is the split audience. The folks that want a high level technical discussion are not the average fish keepers. The average fish keeper wants to know 'what other fish can I keep with Petey, my daughters pet platy that I bought at walmart?' Why do my fish keep dieing when I feed them good stuff like a whole pork chop all to themselves? You target one, you lose the other. Thaty is only part of the problem but you kind of see the frustration that would be for the folks that have to dedicate massive time and energy (all volunteer for the love of the hobby) and the overwhelming dissapointment they must feel when there is only a small audience. While you want a quality of audience, you also need a quantity. (by quality I mean qualitative in that they are interested and feel engaged by the topic)

Just my thoughts.

The world has changed and continues to change. The instant availability of information precludes the need to have speakers. I can go on the internet right now and likely find a youtube video of any topic that interests me. Perhaps we need to look at video conferencing as a valid method of speaker delivery in Alberta. hmm. interesting thought...

Yes, it's too bad about the turnouts for the speakers and yes, I did hear Rusty Wessel in Edmonton. Fascinating camera work!! I do go to the CAOAC conventions in the east for 2 years straight. I have met so many people and obtained some fish and plants that I never could've gotten here. As well, friends take me on tours of the stores and fish rooms. I have heard that Saskatoon is having a show this year and am planning on going and showing fish. To all of you who say "why can't we have one in Alberta?", I issue you this challenge. Take the first step and get involved in your local aquarium club. Together we can make more shows happen in Alberta and you can experience the fun times(be a fish nerd all weekend!!) that I have in Ontario each year. Okay now I'll climb off my soapbox and syno21, let us know how the convention goes. Hope you have an awesome time!!

Hmmm That video conferenceing idea really has merit. We could set up something like that with webcams and a projector. Now is there anyone out there that is willing to do the techy stuff?? We could have a virtual conference where anyone can log in and view the speakers and then ask questions or we could do a LIVE CHAT with an expert or two and make a day event of it. Hmmm.... now who has an idea on how to get the ball rolling?

Happy Canada Day :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml:

• 2 weeks later...

That seems to have happened here too, I am getting the imrpression. When was the last time Calgary had a full on fish show? Looks like both cities clubs have gone to pretty much just a big auction.

It is sad, but on the same token if there isn't an extended interest in the community, why would folks do so much work for such a small crowd?

When you have several hundred people in standing room only at the auction, but they duck out the back as soon as the speakers arrive, it's a pretty clear message from your target audience. Sad or not, you can't MAKE them stay even if it would be good for them, the fish they keep, and the audience involved.

The other problem is the split audience. The folks that want a high level technical discussion are not the average fish keepers. The average fish keeper wants to know 'what other fish can I keep with Petey, my daughters pet platy that I bought at walmart?' Why do my fish keep dieing when I feed them good stuff like a whole pork chop all to themselves? You target one, you lose the other. Thaty is only part of the problem but you kind of see the frustration that would be for the folks that have to dedicate massive time and energy (all volunteer for the love of the hobby) and the overwhelming dissapointment they must feel when there is only a small audience. While you want a quality of audience, you also need a quantity. (by quality I mean qualitative in that they are interested and feel engaged by the topic)

Just my thoughts.

The world has changed and continues to change. The instant availability of information precludes the need to have speakers. I can go on the internet right now and likely find a youtube video of any topic that interests me. Perhaps we need to look at video conferencing as a valid method of speaker delivery in Alberta. hmm. interesting thought...

One of the biggest problems I find here in Calgary concerning this problem has to do with the LFS culture. It's all about cheap; who has the cheapest price. Compared to other cities, the average hobbiest has less knowledge concerning aquarium health and maintanance here in Calgary. I am not saying that people are less intellegent here, but what I am saying is first time hobbiest for the past 15 years have been under exsposed to aquarium knowledge here do to the lack to professional aquarist employed at the LFS. The reason there are so few professional aquarists employed at LFS is because select stores mark up their products 10 to 15% and although that is enought to make themselves filthy rich and drive hundred thousand dollar vehicles, that kind of mark up cannot employ professionals in other stores who employee 25 - 50 people. One store employs 30 - 50 people, which equates to 50 families and sells their products at competive prices with most companies across the country and another store employs 1 or 2 people and sells their products dirt cheap which greatly harms the companies that employ 30 - 50 people. The store that sells their products dirt cheap harms everyone including their customers.

There is little thirst for knowledge in this city, little hunger to try something new. It's all Prime, NLS and FX5s and sadly, these are not the best products availible. If someone comes on this site and asks about methods for lower hardness, they are told not to bother because that person doesn't do it so no need for anyone else to do it. Dull! Heiko Bleher toured hobbiests houses and the stores of Southern Ontario and gave talks. Do you think he'd do that here? I don't think so, there is little here for him to learn.

I am not saying there are no intellegent fish keepers here in Calgary, nothing can be further than the truth, just that information is not as important here as is the venerated cheapest price set years ago by one store. As the population is now expanded past 1 million I believe it's time for a change.

Edited by Evolution

May I issue a challenge to you then. Get yourself and others involved with your local aquarium society and make a difference. Many of us would love to see more shows and speakers to learn more but we can't do it without more participation!! See you at September's CAS meeting when Bill Bishopp will be speaking on livebearers!! :thumbs:

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. Actually, I have a picture of me, in that T-shirt, in front of one of my fish racks with Paul Loiselle. But that was a different time and place. The internets were just coming in to being. The tech revolution was just starting. I think I might have just transferred from a commodore 64 computer to a DOS based one. Walmart? Didn't exist in Calgary to my knowledge. Pisces was the BIG fish store, and Riverfront was in the fledgling beginnings.

Now, so much is done over the internets, that people can get the information, and a link to a store selling the item at a discount.

If only it were that simple FCG (Fishclubgirl).

I will be at the September meeting. I'm just like that. But I am not that interested in live bearers, and anyone who isn't a big fan of livebearers isn't likely to stick around. Most folks tend to split along interest lines and typically it is current interest.

Life didn't get easier with more technology, it got busier. I am sitting here with a phone jack in my ear, yahoo open to my business contacts, email running, typing on fishy webpage. In the time that I opened this website, I have completed my expense report, read 5 emails, wrote 3 responses, answered 2 phone calls, made 1. Concluded a shipping deal and got a cup of coffee. All the while planning my reply to you.

It's a brave new world, and I think more and more face to face type meetings are going by the way side. Witness the conversation you and I had this weekend talking about aquabid, when it dawned on both of us that I could save the shipping cost by just meeting you the following saturday. :)

But who knows. That is just my thought on this.

Bill Bishop eh? hmm. Hope he brings some killie eggs...

Dan,

Granted the internet has made a difference in the way we conduct our lives and I agree that online meetings can help to bring hobbyists closer together. You're more than welcome to come over and " attend" a betta breeders canada meeting or "join" in when CAOAC is on Skype. However, my thoughts are that a combination of both "face to face" and online meetings helps to inform and connect us betta. And to be quite frank, I would rather look at my fish tanks than a computer. I would love to see more people involved in our local clubs so we can have shows, talks etc. and have fun!!! Just for syno321, you haven't mentioned what you're bringing back for me??? and Dan, I'll make you a livebearer person as I have some that look like killifish or perhaps they are.......

haha! Maybe as I am ramping up for the "Grandmaster" title I might run a bunch of livebearers. Always gives you a bad name when you do that though as I really do not have much interest in them. I'd be spawning, getting the BAP credit and dumping the whole works, parents, fry, etc. at the next auction.

Not really my style any more, but who knows when that ramp up bug might hit me... wouldn't be the first time.

Do the Alberta clubs still have that title? Looks like they changed it at some point to the '1000 point club' instead of GrandMaster. I always thought that had a nice ring to it, but whatever works.

I would actually be more interested in the bubblenest spawners than the livebearers. More challenge I think

whoa. this thread has really been hijacked! haha!

Edited by DanGofCalgary

My point is too many first time aquarium buyers are reduced to learn from an inexperienced 15 year old telling them how to set up their first tank. All the fish clubs in the world will not prevent this problem at the store level. Most first time buyers need an honest and experienced professional at the store level to get them through the first 6 months.

Dan,

Granted the internet has made a difference in the way we conduct our lives and I agree that online meetings can help to bring hobbyists closer together. You're more than welcome to come over and " attend" a betta breeders canada meeting or "join" in when CAOAC is on Skype. However, my thoughts are that a combination of both "face to face" and online meetings helps to inform and connect us betta. And to be quite frank, I would rather look at my fish tanks than a computer. I would love to see more people involved in our local clubs so we can have shows, talks etc. and have fun!!! Just for syno321, you haven't mentioned what you're bringing back for me??? and Dan, I'll make you a livebearer person as I have some that look like killifish or perhaps they are.......

I think he mentioned that he might not be able to go, some other very important event during that same time.