bananas

deshelled peas for the greens in there diet

jumbo dew worms

superworms

crickets

small frogs

Boyds vita chem vitamins

]

do you raise your own "small frogs" to feed your oscar?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I feed my oscars

Hikari food sticks

Hikari massivore pellet

NLS 7.5mm pellet

raw prawns

krill

beef heart

bananas

jumbo dew worms

superworms

crickets

small frogs

Boyds vita chem vitamins

]

No, my buddy has a pond in his backyard, but over the years it turned into a mini swamp where frogs breed -roll- So I get them from there.

A small amount of salt is natural in freshwater. Key word small. It is good for the fishes health, it mineralizes the water... Brackish is not salt nor freshwater, and freshwater fish will not tolerate it.

I feed my 12.5" Oscar NLS pellets and massivore with raw prawn sometimes.

The mineral content of Alberta water is one of the highest in the country, possibly North America. Salt, aquarium salt, is sodium chloride (NaCl), which is part metal and part chlorine- no minerals there. This ionic compound is not normally natural in fresh water and it's even rarer in South American black water to which oscar evolved in. I am also yet to find any information anywhere as to how the continued use of salt in freshwater tanks is good for a fishes health. And brackish water or esterine water is salt water, but at a lower salinity than marine water.

A mineral is a naturally occurring solid chemical substance that is formed through geological processes and that has a characteristic chemical composition, a highly ordered atomic structure, and specific physical properties. By comparison, a rock is an aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids and does not have a specific chemical composition. Minerals range in composition from pure elements and simple salts to very complex silicates with thousands of known forms.

Under this definition I think salt classifies as a mineral. Salt isnt always made with a Sodium ion either. It can be MgCl2 such as what the main composition of the salt in the ocean is.

A small amount of salt is natural in freshwater. Key word small. It is good for the fishes health, it mineralizes the water... Brackish is not salt nor freshwater, and freshwater fish will not tolerate it.

The mineral content of Alberta water is one of the highest in the country, possibly North America. Salt, aquarium salt, is sodium chloride (NaCl), which is part metal and part chlorine- no minerals there. This ionic compound is not normally natural in fresh water and it's even rarer in South American black water to which oscar evolved in. I am also yet to find any information anywhere as to how the continued use of salt in freshwater tanks is good for a fishes health. And brackish water or esterine water is salt water, but at a lower salinity than marine water.

A mineral is a naturally occurring solid chemical substance that is formed through geological processes and that has a characteristic chemical composition, a highly ordered atomic structure, and specific physical properties. By comparison, a rock is an aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids and does not have a specific chemical composition. Minerals range in composition from pure elements and simple salts to very complex silicates with thousands of known forms.

Under this definition I think salt classifies as a mineral. Salt isnt always made with a Sodium ion either. It can be MgCl2 such as what the main composition of the salt in the ocean is.

Yes, but are you not confusing mineral salts such as those abundant in Alberta water, and such water as the rift lakes of Africa with sodium chloride aka aquarium salt? The salt used in aquaria as a wide range general tonic is not a mineral salt, but nothing more than one part metal and one part chlorine. Two things that I remove from my tap water using a good water conditioner to prevent my fish from being harmed.

Yes, but are you not confusing mineral salts such as those abundant in Alberta water, and such water as the rift lakes of Africa with sodium chloride aka aquarium salt? The salt used in aquaria as a wide range general tonic is not a mineral salt, but nothing more than one part metal and one part chlorine. Two things that I remove from my tap water using a good water conditioner to prevent my fish from being harmed.

don't those water conditioners increase the sodium levels in your water?

don't those water conditioners increase the sodium levels in your water?

In exceptionally limited quanties.

If your Oscar eats pellets, leave it at that. All the other crap will just help your water turn into a toxic soup.

Salt should only be used to heal wounds. Epsom salts can help with digestion and swim bladder issues but other than that leave it out.

Even in my tanks with automatic water change systems the water gets pretty dirty when I feed shrimp or fish,worms etc.

I have my rays in my 180 gallon eating earthworms and the tank is a disaster. Water changes every other day to keep up with the mess they leave behind. As soon as they are pellet trained its into the 360 gallon.

Pellets are your best bet. All the nutrition they need in one easy to digest package that won't foul your water as long as you feed responsibly.

If you choose to feed all the extra stuff be prepared to do more water changes. IMO that's all you get out of feeding unprepared foods.

i find that when i feed pellets, there is more mess after! my O tends to chuff pellet bits out his gills all the time and feeding previously live foods such as frozen (cubes or silversides), there is barely any mess in the tank after. there are three other fish in there too, so they do clean up after their messy and inconsiderate tankmate, lol, but the pellet bits are just too small for them to realize 'food!'.

as for water changes/filter maintenance, i'm on top of that. if it weren't for the oxygen bubbles and flow from the filter outputs you'd think my fish swim in air sometimes, lol.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Hikari food sticks

Hikari massivore pellet

NLS 7.5mm pellet

raw prawns

krill

beef heart

bananas

jumbo dew worms

superworms

crickets

small frogs

Boyds vita chem vitamins

]

No, my buddy has a pond in his backyard, but over the years it turned into a mini swamp where frogs breed -roll- So I get them from there.

so you poached them.

unless you're breeding them yourself or buying them, that's brutal.

Edited by duh duh duh

Hikari food sticks

Hikari massivore pellet

NLS 7.5mm pellet

raw prawns

krill

beef heart

bananas

jumbo dew worms

superworms

crickets

small frogs

Boyds vita chem vitamins

]

so you poached them.

unless you're breeding them yourself or buying them, that's brutal.

:rolleyes:

http://raysweb.net/specialplaces/pages/species.html

"For many people, the term 'endangered species' brings to mind well known, large animals like the African Elephant.

But here, in Alberta, the cumulative effect of farming, oil & gas development, mining, forestry and the establishment of our towns and roadways has put as many as 55 percent of Alberta species at risk.

According to the Alberta Government Fish & Wildlife Branch:

• 20 species of Alberta fish and wildlife are in serious risk of dying out in our province.
  • 2 species are already gone.
  • only 55 per cent of the 535 species found in Alberta are considered healthy.

So, the problem exists right here in our own backyard.

We can do more here to protect species than we can in far away places. We are, after all, the stewards of our own lands.

But we aren't acting as if there is a problem. "

http://raysweb.net/specialplaces/pages/frog.html

"In the 1980s, Alberta's leopard frog population plunged so badly that the government of Alberta even put out a "wanted poster," displaying a photo of the frog with the words "Have You Seen This Frog?"

Undoubtedly you've heard, as I have, that worldwide, frogs are in trouble. Still, it surprised me to learn that the Northern Leopard Frog is more than in trouble in Alberta."

Funny hey?