starting discus tank

angie

hi everyone i have desided to start an 80gal discus tank with live plants this will be my first discus tank so far ive got a few plants and i am cycling the tank with a green terror (dont worry hes going into a different tank later) so far its doing ok nitrates nitrites and ammonia are all at 0 even after not doing a water change in 3 weeks i am having a bit of trouble getting the ph and gh down after adding peat the my ph is around 7.6 and gh is around 13 does anyone have any ideas on how to lower it more also does anyone have any pointers on things that will keep them happy and healthy im pretty nervous about getting discus and can use all the advice i can get i want to learn as much as possible befor owning these beautifly fish

I've kept discus in regular tap water. If you get them from a local breeder, there's a good chance they're used to it. Now, if you're looking to breed them, then that's when they will require the soft acidic water. I know a few guys around town that use 50/50 RO/tap, and a couple that use 100% RO.

I've kept discus in regular tap water. If you get them from a local breeder, there's a good chance they're used to it. Now, if you're looking to breed them, then that's when they will require the soft acidic water. I know a few guys around town that use 50/50 RO/tap, and a couple that use 100% RO.

I agree.

For just a show tank, please dont mess around with the water chemistry, buy fish locally that have been acclimated to regular tap water and you experience with keeping Discus will be a much more simpler and enjoyable one.

All the fish I import are always acclimated to regular tap water. that way they are easier to keep and without the headaches of testing the water every few hours.

Please continue to post here for more info.

I'm doing the same thing and having the same problem trying to drop the ph low enough for the discus. I added a pressurized co2 unit and that helped a little. I'm thinking after reading in the other post to use a ro/di 50/50 mix. Always thought you could not use ro/di water in fresh water due to lack of minerals. If I use ro/tap mix do you have to add a supplement? Kind of glad I joined this forum!

I'm doing the same thing and having the same problem trying to drop the ph low enough for the discus. I added a pressurized co2 unit and that helped a little. I'm thinking after reading in the other post to use a ro/di 50/50 mix. Always thought you could not use ro/di water in fresh water due to lack of minerals. If I use ro/tap mix do you have to add a supplement? Kind of glad I joined this forum!

Since you're adding CO2, you can use the CO2 chart to guide you. For example: if you want to achieve a target pH of 6.8, a corresponding safe KH is around 5-6. Mix your tap water with RO water to a proportion that has a KH around that or lower. Don't let the GH get too low, or like you said, you will have a lack of minerals (Ca, Mg). You can tweak it a bit by adding baking soda to raise the KH (1/2 tsp per 25 gal will raise it by 1 degree dKH). You can add Ca and Mg back in to raise the GH, but it's easier to just get it from the tap water in the first place.

Sorry about taking over the topic. I just bought a KH/GH kit from api and having a hard time reading the results. It asks to add 1 drop unitll the water changes color. How do I read the scale. How much does 1 drop mean in ppm? Or do you look at in drops in this many drops mean you k/gh is at this reading? Right now my kh is at 5 drops to change color and my gh is at 18 drops. And I have no idea what this means, the instructions that came with it are not very clear.

Each drop is 1 degree which I think equals 17.9ppm. In your case, KH is 89.5 ppm (5 degrees * 17.9 ppm) and GH is 322.2 ppm.

Start with the solution and add a drop. After each drop, put the cap on and invert or shake the tube. When the blue solution turns yellow. Count how many drops you put in and that is your KH reading. With GH the color goes from orange to green.

Since you're adding CO2, you can use the CO2 chart to guide you. For example: if you want to achieve a target pH of 6.8, a corresponding safe KH is around 5-6. Mix your tap water with RO water to a proportion that has a KH around that or lower. Don't let the GH get too low, or like you said, you will have a lack of minerals (Ca, Mg). You can tweak it a bit by adding baking soda to raise the KH (1/2 tsp per 25 gal will raise it by 1 degree dKH). You can add Ca and Mg back in to raise the GH, but it's easier to just get it from the tap water in the first place.

Sounds like you need to be a chemistry major to figure that out.

I have imported Discus from all over and have always just acclimated them to tap water.

Why take the fun out of the hobby, just enjoy your fish and keep the tank clean.

• 2 weeks later...

well i dont have any discus so far just lots of plants and a green terror to cycle it so far i added alittle acid buffer today people have been saying good things about it decided to try it out since i have a bit of time befor i get the discus if anyone knows any local breeders please let me know i haveent been able to find any in edmonton

Guest AmyTerence

[报价名称=jvision'= '03日期2010年9月 - 上午07时39分:1144 = '1283524790'后= '2223163]

我一直在普通自来水铁饼。 如果你从一个地方种鸡他们,有一个很好的机会,他们已经习惯了。 现在,如果你正在寻找他们繁殖,然后在那个时候,他们会要求软酸性水。 我知道在镇附近,使用50/50反渗透/水龙头,一对夫妇和100%,使用反渗透几个家伙。

[/报价]

I agree.

Mortels

Edited by AmyTerence

Why Is AmyTerence post in a foreign language? I can not read it.

[报价名称=jvision'= '03日期2010年9月 - 上午07时39分:1144 = '1283524790'后= '2223163]

我一直在普通自来水铁饼。 如果你从一个地方种鸡他们,有一个很好的机会,他们已经习惯了。 现在,如果你正在寻找他们繁殖,然后在那个时候,他们会要求软酸性水。 我知道在镇附近,使用50/50反渗透/水龙头,一对夫妇和100%,使用反渗透几个家伙。

[/报价]