Plywood Tank Coating

Tanker

Hi all... building a small plywood tank this fall and I'm collecting all the info and various items I need prior to starting the build. After glass, coating seems to be the hardest choice. From those who 'know' what are my actual options?

I want something I can apply at home, so a spray-in commercial lining is out.

I do not want to use a pond liner.

I want to be able to purchase the product locally.

So what are the options left to me?

I know Nick has built a couple tanks using Arborite - the stuff on countertops. I've been reading threads over at MFK for years and have seen just about anything anyone could think of! I was thinking of using that concrete board with Locktite when I build mine.

I've used Zavlar rubber coating on my 2200 gallon build while others have used products like pond armour on thiers. I've seen people also use kerdi mat and tile thier tanks. All of these work well and will basically be up to you on whatever you feel most comfortable using.

Is your 2200g tiled?

I've used Zavlar rubber coating on my 2200 gallon build while others have used products like pond armour on thiers. I've seen people also use kerdi mat and tile thier tanks. All of these work well and will basically be up to you on whatever you feel most comfortable using.

Is your 2200g tiled?

It is tiled but not using the conventional method with kerdi. I just rubbercoated my tank with zavlar for 3 layers and then when that dried (allways dries tacky unless cured with U.V. light) I used the Zavlar and a 1/8" trowel and just tiled as you would with tile glue on a wall.

Went tile shopping today... considering that method as the tank is only a 24" x 24" x 30" tall. So I'd need all of 16 12" tiles... only catch is finding the 'right' tile. The gloss black is really sharp, and anything lighter I think would look like the fish were swimming on the floor... an optical illusion I'd not even like to entertain as a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tanker,

Wondering have you looked into "Pond Armor" - Like Jason I kick around on the MFK Forums quite abit alot of reading and info. It seems that in the DIY Plywood builds I see Pond Armor come up all the time.

http://www.pondarmor.com/store/index.htm

It's expensive - I haven't looked into any other products but I thought I would give a suggestion, I don't have any expirence with it and i've never used it.