tank trim

Guppygirl

I bought a 33 gallon tank at the Ace auction. 7 of the 8 corners on the top and bottom trim are cracked. Is the trim vital for the tank? Or is it more decorative and just protects the edges of the tank? I am thinking of just filling the cracks with silicone-would this work? The inner silicone looks okay. I just don't want to fill the tank only to find that the trim is important and I have a water disaster. So any help would be great. Thanks.

I`d have to agree with winging it. I find trim the be a little ugly sometimes, and have tanks without it. As long as the tank itself has the silicone done properly, you should be fine. The top trim on my 180 and 90 is just sitting on it, and isn`t even silicone`d on and those tanks have been fine! :)

I also agree the trim isn't super important, not for holding water away. Most trims have the inner edges that allow you to place the top cover on. As long as the cracks don't open any further when weight is added, you'll be fine.

I once had a 55gal that had a plastic brace built into the trim, but I took it off, anyway and the tank didn't really bow. IMO&E, the trim is for decoration, not support.

if the trim has a brace built in then yes the top one is important. the bottom one is more important than the top is. the bottom has a lip to hold some of the force on the bottom pane of glass once the load is on the tank. that being said, i have a 140 gallon tank sittin in my kitchen with no trims and its great. i put a couple of pieces of foam here and there directly under the bottom pane before i put the tank on the stand to take some of that force. if it was on a smaller tank then i wouldnt worry as much.

my .02

Kyle