LF advice on Heavy Hardy Plants that work on driftwood

hustler

I have a 180 with Ample lights and a few big pieces of driftwood that are starting to grow alge, And have some kind of plant growing in a crack in the wood? looks like maybe an anubeus???? I dont know plants at all.....

I would love to try and get some bigger live plants growing in there off of the driftwood but i have No Clue where to start????

I have clowns and a bristlenose in there now and will be using it as a grow out for silver dollars and gars.... So they may have to put up with a bit of a crap kicking......

Any ideas or info in the right direction would Help greatly

Yes, anubias would be an obvious choice and you could try a larger java fern as I've heard fish don't like the taste. There's also the extremely slow growing plasticus that's unkillable but doesn't take away from algae production :smokey:

You can try Anubias barteri and nana, and Java fern, and maybe Bolbitus; but, Silver Dollars - especially young ones - LOVE the plants. You can give it a shot and it might work out. All of the plants mentioned are the worst tasting in the hobby, if any will work, it'll be them :)

Yes, anubias would be an obvious choice and you could try a larger java fern as I've heard fish don't like the taste. There's also the extremely slow growing plasticus that's unkillable but doesn't take away from algae production :smokey:

lol plasticus ... also available in neon colours!

LOL..... Ok this is what im working with :)

I have a 180 with Alot of wood..... 2 4foot T5's and if need be 2 4foot T8's

018.jpg

And here is whatever plant may still be trying to live in the wood???? Iy has frsh leaves sprouting but other than that...... lol

023.jpg

I didnt want to get into Co2 maybe some fertilizers but fish safe as thats what Im going for..... a fish tank not a garden :)

That's Java fern. It's quite hardy (I've it dry out and come back - even freeze and survive!). New growth is more succulent than older leaves, but it still tastes bad - hopefully bad enough for the SDs to leave it alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so...... Being honest...... Is it possible to have a planted tank and not do the Co2, Ferts ect?

I am very interested in doing Live as well as plastic just to get the feel for them but I dont want to be spending a bunch of time with the Kh, Or balances ect ect I spend too much time already on my fish water :) But i have such an appretiation for the live plant set ups......

If any listed plants can thrive at all without all the Jazz of these setups..... Please let me know

Most roset plants do well w/o CO3 - Swords, Crypts, Val. There are also a few stem plants that do well in a 'normal' tank - Pennywort, Watersprite, Hygrophilla spp. and a few others.

Definitely, you can do a tank without CO2 and the elements that the techies are always talking about and I don't understand(that's why I have my good friend, Werner). Some fish like a darker tank too like wild bettas. Make sure you're still using a good substrate and fertilising(general fertiliser) and get the plants that suit the amount of light you have. My really low light tank is all crypts, anubias and vals and super easy to take care of!!

That's actually why I didn't want the silver dollars. They just destroy the vals I have been trying to put in there which in turn becomes rotting plants=algae. They left the Java and the anubias alone though. All my tanks aren't on CO2 and only fertilize because of my crappy well water to balance it out. Also low light. My most planted tank is only 0.55 wpg.

Awesome :) The more i read about planted tanks the more i wanted plastics lol I have too many other variables to sort out and adding any more ehh.... And thanks for the Info about the silver dollars tim seeing as 5 of em were yours yesterday lol

Java and anubias it is

I dont run substrate though..... I was planning on attaching them to driftwood and hiding baskets with slate Will that work?