75G Natural Planted Dirt Tank! New Pics 3Mo Later 12/28/11

ridethespiral

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. One day soon I hope to have a tank this nice.

This tank is actually very simple. I run my Hagen 2x HO-T5 for 10 hours hanging 12" above the tank. No CO2, and used cheap materials. Minus the EHEIM 2075 and fish, the total cost with supplies, tank, and light would have been only around $300

Almost a year for it to settle in. Many ups, downs and frustrations haha. I've lost fish, blew dirt everywhere, cheapo bulbs blowing, spilled water, drained too much water, accidentally killed fish when I forgot to put the end on the hose when draining water.

The list could go on and on

shock.gif

Edited by ridethespiral

Well maybe I can get something figured in one of the new tanks I am getting. I would really like to find a substrate a little courser than play sand. I had it in one tank and I hated it.

Maybe I should go out and buy a tank just for this. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Do I need 12 tanks???

• 2 months later...

This tank is actually very simple.

Many ups, downs and frustrations haha. The list could go on and on

Someone once said, "Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind." -05-

Nice progression. Inspiring even for the likes of us me who wants to see immediate results yesterday.

When you switched from the 2213 to the 2075, did you still locate the 2075 spray bar on the left side glass? Your plants are doing so well they hide the hard-goods ;)

Edited by Fisher

I did a lot of work before taking shots today. Got rid of much of the overgrowth, found out that my amazon sword had a shoot with TWELVE baby plants growing, so I had to find room for twelve amazon swords.... Got rid of all the duckweed, and BAM, beautiful once again.

It took ~400 shots to get this one which I'm still not satisfied. LOL. Spent about 30 mins in total. I used my music stand as a tripod :woot:

BEFORE: Sometime september..

IMG_0394.JPG

AFTER:

ISO 100
Exposure 1/2 sec
Aperture 3.5
Focal Length 18mm

Click on link for massive resolution picture :D

https://lh3.googleus...s0/IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

Merry [belated] Christmas and a [soon to be] Happy New Year! :)

Someone once said, "Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind." -05-

Nice progression. Inspiring even for the likes of us me who wants to see immediate results yesterday.

When you switched from the 2213 to the 2075, did you still locate the 2075 spray bar on the left side glass? Your plants are doing so well they hide the hard-goods ;)

That certain someone sure is correct; great to see a fellow TOOL fan.

Unfortunately we are now surrounded in a world where people expect/crave immediacy. If I've learned anything out of fish and plant keeping (I also love orchids), it's that I should accept the simple things in life, and of course, not to expect everything to happen right away. My glass box of water is my own little slice of nature and I love coming home to a nice inviting, tropical looking aquarium. To know that I've successfully managed to set up and run an aquarium makes me smile.

I didn't really run the 2213 as a main filtration component, it was just sort of there until I got the 2075. I currently have the 2075 spray bar on the right side of the aquarium, with the intake located near the middle.

On boxing day, I bought two Koralia Evolution 1050's from Big Al's. I have on located just below the spray bar, pointed towards the surface to create a sort of gyre motion in the tank. This one runs 24/7. The second one is positioned 30cm from the left on the back pane, close to the surface, and points towards the middle of the front pane of glass. Again this gets the water in a seconds circular motion. I have it set on a timer to run in 15-30m intervals from 12pm-12am along with the lights, and then is off for the dark time.

Edited by ridethespiral

Unfortunately we are now surrounded in a world where people expect/crave immediacy

Results implies effort; there was a day when that was collectively taught and colloquially understood. The immediacy I observe (and perhaps what you refer to) takes the path of least resistance, employing a different tool to achieve results. That condition isn't spontaneous; it's taught, learned and reinforced. Maybe I should've said that your photos inspire me becaue I like to see the fruits of my labor sooner than later. Time lapse photography demonstrates the result is, generally, worth the work. ;) Happy New Year!

On boxing day, I bought two Koralia Evolution 1050's from Big Al's. I have on located just below the spray bar, pointed towards the surface to create a sort of gyre motion in the tank. This one runs 24/7. The second one is positioned 30cm from the left on the back pane, close to the surface, and points towards the middle of the front pane of glass. Again this gets the water in a seconds circular motion. I have it set on a timer to run in 15-30m intervals from 12pm-12am along with the lights, and then is off for the dark time.

Why do you run the second one on intervals and only during that time frame?