expensive aquarium

dunl

and the owner then fills it with 99 cent community fish

Yup BUT the person who sells them the aquarium will most likely charge them three times that or more so really gouge and screw them since they probably don't know any better or has too much money to care to check out the prices themselves

What a waste of mammoth Ivory and T-rex bone.(much more rare than gold)

L

At current gold prices there is about $3.24M worth of gold in that aquarium and if gold hits $2000 by the end of next year it will then be worth $4.80M and if it hits 3000 like some experts are predicting within 3-4 years then it is worth $7.20M. No wonder the buyer will stock it with inexpensive fish - it's just an investment and not a bad return at all.

On another note if I'm reading the article right about the tiger fish to be sold to diners at $117 a lb. that restaurant will be out of business in no time. They paid $75K USD for the fish at 105 lbs - 1/3 of it is waste so usable meat is now worth $1071 per lb. and they are charging $117 per lb. I'd say those diners are getting a heck of a deal. Guess the restaurant owners lost their abacus.

When these type of people (those with that kind of resources) are looking at investments they look at the least risk for the best return. Right now physical gold in any form has an attraction second to none for these astute investors and it is becoming very scarce as a physical commodity. They don't want a piece of paper stating they own some gold in some obscure location because they realize that if everyone holding those certificates all wanted possesion at the same time there wouldn't be enough gold to fill all the orders. They want the real thing staring at them then they know they really have it. Gold coins are also becoming difficult to buy as many suppliers have put limits on amounts you can buy or have withdrawn regular minting of some series as they too have run short of gold to melt down.

I've read analyst reports advising clients to buy physical gold as they figure it will be worth as much as $5000 an ounce within 5 years. They are also advising purchase of silver and other rare earth elements as well. Only time will tell who was right.

I guess the purchasers of these aquariums feel that in the meantime at least they have something more esthetically pleasing to look at than a pile of gold bars.