Big Tank Build

knifefishfan

Hi guys/gals,

I was thinking of building/getting a tank built for me. It would be made out of 3/4" inch glass. I need it to be big enough for my big fishes...listed as my sig. what dimensions would you recommend? Also they told me that at that size i need to get metal braces around the sides and the glass will slide right in. is there a better way? Im doing this in glass cause i know someone that will get it for cheap. Im looking for 200-300 gallon. With the tank this size, im guessing that i will need to get the tank drilled for a sump? Can some1 help with a design that can work.

thanks all

With the fish you have there, I'd go with a smallest size of 8'Lx3'Wx2'H. You only really have to worry about the tank bowing when it's tall (18" or more).

With the fish you have there, I'd go with a smallest size of 8'Lx3'Wx2'H. You only really have to worry about the tank bowing when it's tall (18" or more).

They told me that it will bow and thats y i need the metal bracings on the sides. the glass would just fit snugly in between the metal. would look old school, but not sure if i like that look. the tank dims you just said is roughly 360 gallons. wowzers.

hopefully i can get this glass cheap like my friend says hehe.

Have you considered a plywood tank with a coating of zavlar and one glass viewing panel???

yes but i kinda like looking from the sides when i want to check on something. would it be cheaper/easier if its plywood?

Well bro :)

If you need anything welded just let me know....

My 300 is 3/4 glass and its 30" high. 8x2x30" If you were going any wider I would say 24" is maximum height. Also euro braces..... As long as you have the know how to seal it and silicone it I dont see why it wouldnt work all glass. But is it tempered? What are the sheet dimentions? And how are you going to cut it? 3/4" is a bugger to cut in a home garadge with hand tools....

If you get cheap glass theres no reason why not..... And Ill have the bits to drill it (as long as its not tempered) in a few days as I have to do my 180's for the rack.....

Also there is a tank builder that may be coming to town from calgary in march to build a monster in my friends house if all goes well... But he dosent work for beer like me.....

its from a friend. he gets it from calgary. my coworkers husband works for a school and he can help me out with the glass. thanks hustler, i might need your expertise with this. he did say they will cut the glass and even put it together with some uv glue and silicone. just need a welder *cough* *hustler* *cough* to help me with stand/bracing. ill even as if they can make a sump for me with thinner glass. just need a little time to get the dimension/plan this out. definitely will keep you posted. im kinda excited but dont wanna get my hopes up just in case

Plywood is better,cheaper,and lighter. You may not be able to look at your tank threw the side, but I noticed that the fish act more natural with only one viewing window and no distractions from the side. And zavlar is okay, but Polyurea is better. Its less sloppy. Its a spray on liner rather then a tack on rubber one. Id go with 3/4'' glass if I was you.

Edited by rED O

Also, a 300+ gal all glass tank is going to weigh a lot - especially 3/4" glass. It will take many people to move it. I think a plywood build might be a good idea - a couple or few people could move it easily. If you want to look in more than just the front pane, do 2 pains and it's still way lighter than an all glass build.

For the larger tanks not only is acrylic easier to move in and out of a house but from everything i've heard it's also allot cheaper than glass at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide

L