Guaging Interest For A Get-Together On The Southside

hey all,

i was wondering how many of us that don't go to the ACE meetings/are not ACE members would be interested in getting together on a semi-regular basis to talk fish and just hang out? we could do it on a weekend, as that would be less hectic what with work schedules and family time, eh?

i'd be happy to host the first get-together at my place. if you have kids you are more than welcome to bring them along, my daughter (6 years old) would be more than happy to have some company to play with, and she has a lot of toys so boredom definitely wouldn't be an issue, lol.

everyone could bring a snack item, and we could choose a couple of topics to discuss. low-tech planted aquariums is a special interest of mine, as well as suitable tankmates when dealing with larger cichlids. if you have any other ideas for discussion, feel free to share!

so folks, what do you say? does this sound like something you'd be interested in? i'm thinking once a month or so would be a good frequency.

let me hear your thoughts!

Sherry (BFM)

The guys/gals on CanReef will do a "Reef Swap" every few months. It's kind of like the raffle at the ACE Meetings, or a mini community garage sale - people bring a few things to sell at a reasonable price - it's a good way to trade plants/livestock/equipment.

I'm a member of ACE and go to some of the meetings, but can't make them all due to work and family. Plus, does one really need another reason to talk fish?

hey all,

i was wondering how many of us that don't go to the ACE meetings/are not ACE members

)

If you are interested in fish related get-togethers why are you against joining ACE and attending some of the meetings / get-togethers?

i'm not against joining ACE at all, but with the meetings on the west end on weekday nights i simply cannot make it to them, so i thought there may be other AA members out there that were in the same boat as me.

I have gone to every ACE auction since the big show/auction at the Sands hotel, and very much appreciate all the time and effort that goes into every one. IMO, being a 'side-bar' member of ACE and not being able to get to the meetings doesn't justify me getting a membership right now.

• 1 month later...

ok folks! the wheels in my head have been turning (can you see the smoke coming out my ears? hahaha!) and i had an idea!

lets do a mystery plant swap!

everyone brings a plant in a bag you can't see through, we get together at my place, talk fish, hang out, and just generally have a good time, and then we put our names in a hat and do a random draw for swapping of said mystery plants.

plants should be low or medium light, tolerant of different water chemistry, and generally not too difficult to keep for the average planted tank keeper.

whaddya all think?