Bristleworm Outbreak

bryancatfish

Hi folks,

I dont usually post in this forum as I am a freshwater guy but i have a friend in need of some help with his bristleworm population. he has a 40 to 50 gallon tank that is being over run with bristleworms. I really dont know how to help him so i am asking all of you for some advise as to how to get rid of them while doing as little harm to the tank as possible. He really wants to put a long tentacle aneome in there for his clowns but he is worried that the bristleworms will harm it. can anyone let me know what to tell him

Thanks

Most reef tanks have bristleworms...you can't really get rid of them without taking the rock out and usually that's not an option for most people. I've seen Jawfish eat bristleworms...though i'm not sure how good that is for them...lol. Heck, i've even seen listings on ebay (i think it was there) for someone selling Bristleworms! Go figure!

BWs in a SW tank are a lot like snails in a FW tank - they eat the leftovers. If the population is exploding, it means there's too much food in there. I've gotten rid of BWs by dipping the LR in FW for a few seconds - the worms come running out as fast as they can!

BWs in a SW tank are a lot like snails in a FW tank - they eat the leftovers. If the population is exploding, it means there's too much food in there. I've gotten rid of BWs by dipping the LR in FW for a few seconds - the worms come running out as fast as they can!

+1

You can also try 6 line wrasse. I have two that gobble bristles like crazy

Yeah, the bristles are like tiny shards of glass - really hard to see, and don't always come out w. tweezers.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are a valuable and free member of the CUC. I've never seen them do anything but pick detritus. When my last tank was started I actually caught a couple from my other tanks a put them in the new tank. The rock in the new tank was all man made and dry rock. I don't have any nems, but worms haven't bothered my clams open brains, sponges, tunicates, zoos or any other soft corals in my tanks.

Edited by bosshog