Moving Shrimp To Redo Tank

Ishkabod

Hi I'm new to shrimp and i'm planning to completely redo the substrait and plants in my fluval edge. Should i remove the shrimp entirely from the tank durring the redo and if i do that where should i keep them for those few hours and should i save the water from the tank from before the redo to keep parameters as cloce to the original as possible? Also how long would they be okay lets say in a 3 gallon ice cream pail(baskin robbins size) with the other inhabitants of the tank be okay. I'll add the filter to the side and the heater too but the water will be half of what it was with no food and the tube doesn't reach near halfway to the bottom so i'm worried about lack of filtration at the bottom.

One last thing i'm worried about possible contaminants from the bucket when they are in there soo long with a heater. I regularly use these buckets to warm filtered water to room temp but i don't leave warmer water in them for extended periods of time unless i'm rinseing them out with hot hot water.

Does anyone have any suggestions tips or tricks that might help

Thanks

L

Oh and they are cherry shrimp

I'de say carefully catch the shrimp and keep them separate, especially if your changin substrate. Also when adding the water make sure you don't stirr up the water because you don't want to put these guys back to a dirty tank. The shrimp are pretty sensitive to big changes and that could make them kick the bucket.

I would keep as much as the water as possible, don't clean your filter on your fluval edge and your shrimp will be okay in a bucket until your done. I wouldn't even bother with a heater filter and whatever else you want to add to your icecream pale. If your really worried maybe an airstone but I've never had a problem with nothing. If your not keeping your cherry shrimp outside in the snow the temp will stay the same.

I wouldn't bother with a heater... cherry shrimp are pretty adaptable and the change in your water would be nothing too drastic in that time frame. I think they can even live in an unheated tank.

I recently redid my substrate and they seemed fine in a small container for a short amount of time. However two things

1) after everything is out of the tank carefully make sure none are left...you may have more than you think

2) don't leave the waterline too high in the bucket or let them be able to reach anything they may escape with (plant..cover..) because they will escape

If you have fish that will eat the shrimp I suggest giving them a separate bucket because if plant cover was letting them survive a bucket...well you know

I'm sure it won't be a big deal ! biggrin.gif

I wouldn't bother with a heater... cherry shrimp are pretty adaptable and the change in your water would be nothing too drastic in that time frame. I think they can even live in an unheated tank.

I recently redid my substrate and they seemed fine in a small container for a short amount of time. However two things

1) after everything is out of the tank carefully make sure none are left...you may have more than you think

2) don't leave the waterline too high in the bucket or let them be able to reach anything they may escape with (plant..cover..) because they will escape

If you have fish that will eat the shrimp I suggest giving them a separate bucket because if plant cover was letting them survive a bucket...well you know

I'm sure it won't be a big deal ! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice the only problem is that knowing me it'll be a few hours in the bucket not just a little time. Knowing how long it'll take me to make everything just right and how many plants i have to add and then be sure that the water added to the tank won't be cloundy i'm expecting it to take more than 3 hours. Should i put the shrimp in their own bucket separate from the Harliquin rasboras and snails? and if i do that where should the filter be

thanks

L

THey'll be fine, whatever you do. I started CS about 5 yrs ago - 10 tiny ones in a 10 gal w. no heater, and have had a bajillion in no time! :) I've also left a few (by accident) in about 1/2" of water and crud for a few weeks, only to come back to seeing a few dozen babies swimming around, too. I've moved females with eggs many times without loss.

CS are quite hardy, as far as shrimp go.

Lisa,

i've temporarily held rcs in a 2 gallon bowl for almost 7 hours while rescaping my planted 55. no filter or heater in there and they were just fine. i put about 2/3 water from their tank and 1/3 new water, because i was pretty much draining the tank and didn't want to shock them so much when they returned to all new water in the tank. i did have them by themselves to ensure they didn't end up as fish snacks in such a small environment without plant cover.

they'll be fine :)