Plants For An African Cichlid Tank?

ncrowell

• 3 weeks later...

The easy to grow "plantus plasticus" works well for cichlid tanks and doesn't even need light. Very hardy and comes in a unbelievable amount of colours. However, has not been successfully grown in the home aquarium as I believe it's native to Asia.

I've been thinking of trying a planted African cichlid tank and so far it seems that anubias, vals and java fern are the best. The vals you might have to put in a pot that the fish can't mess with. I've also read that many of the fish don't actually eat the plants but graze on the algae growing on them, just like they do the rocks. So supposedly they look like they are eating the plants when they really aren't. I don't know for sure though, I don't have any personal experience.

some types of mosses can do well in a cichlid tank. we have some flame moss thats doing really well tied to a piece of drift wood. and we have some anubis also.. they nip the leaves every once and a while but they leave it alone for the most part. java fern would do really well. i think most plants that dont need sustrate would work in a cichlid tank.

Amy

tank inhabitants are : jewel, dayglows, yellow lab, sulphur head, hippo point, neolamprolagus brevis, brichardi, calvus, eureka, bicher, rhino pleco, 2 bristlenose.

Edited by SkyGrl

The easy to grow "plantus plasticus" works well for cichlid tanks and doesn't even need light. Very hardy and comes in a unbelievable amount of colours. However, has not been successfully grown in the home aquarium as I believe it's native to Asia.

-roll-