Freshwater Red Pipefish

rayfong

Where to start, last summer or spring I picked up 6 of these guys from Big Al's. I housed them in a fluval edge with established sand and media from one of my other tanks. Two of them died on me leaving me with four. I keep them on a diet of baby brine shrimp. Water is just plain old Edmonton tap water, no added salt except what is on the baby brine shrimp that I feed them.

In October I noticed a baby pipefish. This guy and I think he has a sibling have survived and are just starting to color up now. As young they are a very dull grey and very hard to see against the sand. They are literally the size of a .5mm pencil lead and maybe 1/2 inch long.

Currently it seems the parents were at it again and I have close to a dozen of the little guys swimming around. I will get some pictures up of the adults soon and hopefully I will be able to get some pictures of the babies once they get big enough.

Very cool fish! Are those the juvies or parents? Are they fed exclusively BBS or do you feed them anything else?

Those are the adults, I feed them exclusively BBS. The adults do eat frozen brine shrimp as well.

congrats! those are some neat looking fish. their heads look very 'seahorse-ish'. i know seahorses and pipefish in saltwater are in the same family, so would freshwater pipefish be related as well?

They would be related. These freshwater pipefish can tolerate a little bit of salt as well.

wow, those are so cute!

Are they active? Burrowers?

You got a good thing going over there!

They don't burrow, although they do swim around. Its fun watching them feed, they raise themselves into a vertical position and start sucking away the the BBS.

• 2 months later...