Adding Water To Your Tank Via A Python

BigWater

I've heard many people do it this way.......i am sure someone with personal exp. will post soon. I do know of one case where the faucet water came through the hose into the tank and was pointed directly at the intake for the canister filter and didn't have time to mix with the water conditioner before hitting the filter. In that case, all the bio stuff in the filter was killed off apparently. So....I guess, just make sure the hose puts water somewhere other than directly into the filter intake!!

Robin

I dose the full dose of Prime right before I add water from the tap. I've never experienced trouble, and I do 50% WCs. I know other seasoned fishkeepers that do 1/2 right at the beginning, and 1/2 the dose 1/2 way thru filling.

Good call, BFM. Since I drain 50% of the water in my tanks, I pretty much always shut off the filters so I don't get water spraying all over the place. There are a few that I leave on, but I'm usually adding the water at the opposite end of the tank from the filter intake.

I haven't shut off a filter while doing a water change for as far back as I can remember.

Most water conditioners act instantaneously so if one is dosing with water conditioner spread throughout the tank before they begin adding tap water, it's a non issue.

The idjit that only topped his tank off didn't experience any issues while adding tap water as the massive organic load in the water would have broken down the small amount of chloramine being added very quickly.

But I do shut off my heaters ....

A little off topic but I also shut off the heaters, I have killed at least a couple by leaving them plugged in then doing a big water change, and had them crack. It sucked...

Good point. Forgot that bit!! Also buy heaters from reputable brand. Had a few no name china made ones screw up. Thank God no fatalities but learnt my lesson. Cheap aint good!!:rolleyes:

Wow guys thats awsome.... Alot of great info and things to think about. In the past we used to just add the conditioned water bucket by bucket. That just doesn't work anymore so turning the filter off, good idea, heater off also and good idea. And dose in advance . All this should leave us with a nice happy community.

Edited by BigWater

agreed on pumps and heaters being shut off, I keep them all on the same power bar so I can just flick the switch, I keep my lights on a separate bar connected to timers, seems to work the easiest, rather than trying to figure out which cable goes to what device.

I add Prime a few minutes after it starts filling, 1/3 changes 3 times every 2ish weeks, but then again its a lightly stocked 180.

My intakes happen to be on the far end of the tank form where I fill - guess just dumb luck there