Pics Of 55 gal stand project

thefishdude

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tank and cabinet look fantastic! An awesome transformation. I'm glad to see it was put to good use. Are you putting cichlids in there after cycling is done? Where did you get the pool sand? ...any issues with sand in your filter?

As for me I picked up a bunch of peacocks from Paul. They are in my grow tank. They will be heading to my next tank which I decided will be either another 90 or a 120....soon to be set up. This for sure will be my last :rolleyes:

Very cool! :thumbs: Wish I was handier, I've got a bare bones black metal stand on my main tank right now, and it's ugly as sin :lol: Loving that metal fish design in the center!

Thanx for the comments.

Total cost of project (not including tank) was:

$11.25 for 1/2 sheet of 1/2" MDF

$11.00 for PFS aquired from Western Pump

$12.00 for Flat Black Tremclad Paint

$14.00 for brushed chrome pulls (hardware)

bolts / nuts / screws / filler / brushes / filters / rocks / hinges - already had lying around shop

biggest investment is time - About 4 hrs total costruction and paint time

As for contents: I was hoping to do Demasoni and Labs. I kicked myself for not checking in the day that you sold your juvies Ron - if you have any more in the near future - let me know.

After I cycled the tank with my swords (didn't take very long with all the seeding) - Albert @ Gold's gave me 5 demasoni and talked me into 5 rusties as well. Not planning on keeping the rusties but I might change my mind on that yet...

Edited by thefishdude

Good Job!!!!

I'm working on a stand myself! and i can tell already that mine will not be as nice as yours!

But your step by step has given me some ideas...

I chose not to go with MDF as everone kept telling me that if it is not sealed properly, the MDF can warp...

I went with fir one good side plywood instead - it was about 2 times the cost of the MDF.

I like your metal fish design... quite the artist!

nev

Thanks Nev,

I decided to go with MDF for purely cost reasons - god knows trying to cut and route MDF can be a messy endevour. I've never had a problem with it in the past though. I made my own cabinet and canopy for a 90 gallon from scratch and its entirely MDF (other than 6 4x4's to support weight). I find as long as visible surfaces are covered well with a oil based paint and you don't soak the damn thing in water for more than a few seconds you'll be fine.

Can't wait to see pics of yours buddy

CORY

if mine looks half as good as yours i'd be a happy camper!

I'm not really building mine for show, more so for the purpose of building a space for 2 - 10 gallon tanks under the 60gallon.

right now the project is on hold as its a rainy day project. We are bracing the heck out of it too... i would say its overkill but, i'll feel better knowing it won't crash to the floor!

Like i said... MDF will work but it must be sealed properly. It looks like you did a good job on that!

i like seeing DIY projects from beginning to end! although you make it look easy!

enjoy the demasoni's and rusty's (i like rusty's myself... and if you give them a chance... i'll bet they'll grow on you!)

nev

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Nev,

I decided to go with MDF for purely cost reasons - god knows trying to cut and route MDF can be a messy endevour. I've never had a problem with it in the past though. I made my own cabinet and canopy for a 90 gallon from scratch and its entirely MDF (other than 6 4x4's to support weight). I find as long as visible surfaces are covered well with a oil based paint and you don't soak the damn thing in water for more than a few seconds you'll be fine.

Can't wait to see pics of yours buddy

CORY

I like to route MDF because of no accidental tear out or splintering. It does soak up lots of Paint though.