Will These Work With My Water Quality?

somnio

This is my water quality pH 9.0 KH 240+ GH 0

I was thinking of putting a pair of jewels in my 15 gal with 2 peppered corys and a betta (which I'm guessing I will have to relocate)

And in my 50 gal I was thinking of a pair of firemouth's with my bichir eel, bolivian ram, 2 synadontis and my adonious pleco. What other cichlids could I put in with the firemouths?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my water quality pH 9.0 KH 240+ GH 0

I was thinking of putting a pair of jewels in my 15 gal with 2 peppered corys and a betta (which I'm guessing I will have to relocate)

And in my 50 gal I was thinking of a pair of firemouth's with my bichir eel, bolivian ram, 2 synadontis and my adonious pleco. What other cichlids could I put in with the firemouths?

i think you might want to check your gh one more time if your in edmonton you might need 6 to 9 drops for it to change a gh of 0 is odd and vary soft

Edited by laurensdad

I would add a bit of crushed coral or oyster shell - either in the filter or in the substrate to help bring up your GH. A KH of 240 seems impossible - I think you mean 240ppm; but that's what's keeping your pH at 9. Both readings are on the high side for most fish, but is easy to bring down with the use of some acid. You can pick up HCl (muric/muriatic acid) at pool supply stores, or Seachem's Acid Buffer from the LFS. I work at a pool, and we use HCl to lower pH and KH with great success.

Everything sounds OK for a bit, but once your jewels decide it's time to spawn, nothing else will survive in a 15gal; in fact, a 15 is too small for a pair of adult jewels. In the 15gal, I'd scrap the idea of jewels, add about 8 more corys and your Bolivian ram - you could have a pair if you wanted (you can keep the betta, too if you want).

The 50gal will get crowded, too. The bichir will get too big, and when your pair of firemouths decide it's time to spawn, other cichlids will not be welcome. I would add something like rainbows or large danios for dithers. And, depending on the species of Synodontis, you could probably add a few more.

isnt crushed coral used for rasing kh not gh?..gh is just calcium and magnesium...1 tsp/10 gallons calcium sulfate..1tsp/20 gallons epson salt...that will raise your gh

Jvision I like ur idea for the 15 gal can u mix cory species?

As for my bichir I've had it for 3 yrs now and I don't think its going to grow anymore since it hasn't grown any in the last year..

I've had a large school of cherry barbs and blood fin tetra's in that tank and they have slowly died off I'm guess the water quality might be a culprate... I'd like to go with cichlids for something new and different..so the firemouth would work in the 50 gal tank I just shouldn't add any other cichlids?

Ubr0ke is right, oyster shell will raise KH bc it is calcium carbonate (the carbonate raises KH). Go with those other suggestions.

You could easily add other fish now if they're all still young, but be prepared to move them when as they mature.

Yes that is the pH of my tap water... The fish that I have right now yes live fine but anything that I have tried to add have died...and yes I have introduced them properly, I drip them over a good hour, I would like to add some more fish as my tanks are looking barren