Will These Work With My Water Quality?

somnio

I'm pretty sure there was a reason we unhooked it... I think it had to do that it only filtered a small amount of water over a long period of time... Now that would work maybe for my 15 gal but reality is I don't have enough room/containers for my 50 gal to warrent setting it up...

Why could I not add the KH booster?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're using RO, I'd reconstitute it with your tap water. Start w 50/50 and see what you get. If you just want to reconstitute your tap water, you'll need a strong acid like HCl. The stuff sold at the LFS just won't cut it

Using a strong acid like HCl will lower your KH and your pH. It's the easiest method... or you can try what laurensdad is suggesting, but I suspect your water has a high KH from the tap, so doing water changes won't really help.

Yes, KH is how water buffers against acid/base; but adding a strong acid weakens or uses up the KH. Weak acids can have the opposite affect bc of what the acid is combined with to keep it stable.

I work with water chemistry every day and have seen what works and what doesnt... HCl is the easiest way to reconstitute your well water. If you can't find it in decent supply, then your next bet is to mix tap w RO.

If it were me, I'd be using RO since you already have the unit.

I get that u are very experienced with water chemistry..if I like to understand something fully before doing something to my tanks... Like I said earlier the RO machine is not hooked up and it only produces small amounts of water over a long period of time so it isn't a option for my 50 gal tank :(

I will look for some HCL