Need Help With Oscar

SkyGrl

Please help.

i have a 5 yr old oscar that was rescued through FINS. he is in his own tank (30gallon) and it was fully cycled. i am having problems with him and im not sure how to treat him. he came from a large tank that was severly over stocked and he lost intrest in food. then started getting listless and sitting on the bottom of the tank. when i got him he was able to pick the fish out of the tank with his hands!!! :boxed:

he wont eat, cant swim and when he trys to swim he flips upside down... i feel so bad for the lil guy and i cant find any info on what might be wrong. i have been treating him with Prazi-Pro fro about a week now.

maybe itsa swim bladder issue?? i dont know. he shows no intrest in food at all. but if he cant swim then how can he eat! UGH plz help! this fish deserves to live!!!!

:chair:

im doing a water change today and trying an epson salt treatment. i hope it helps. any advice would be welcomed.

Amy

EDIT: PICS

before coming to FINS

aug16059.jpg

the tank also housed, large arowana, red devil, giraffe cichlids, salvini cichlids, yellow labs, iceblue cichlids

in FINS tank

aug16146.jpg

aug16143.jpg

its now progressed to the point where he can not keep himself from lying on the bottom of the tank... he was leaning up against the sides of decorations...

Edited by SkyGrl

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i realize the tank isnt ideal size but its also his quarentine tank. smaller tank less meds that need to be used. i have a few feeders that have been in quarentine for 2 months. ill try giving him one of those. any other advice???

ill post pics asap

Amy

EDIT: he also seems super skinny which is why i started with prazi pro. i think he was unable to compete with the other fish in his originonal home...

Edited by SkyGrl

i realize the tank isnt ideal size but its also his quarentine tank. smaller tank less meds that need to be used. i have a few feeders that have been in quarentine for 2 months. ill try giving him one of those. any other advice???

ill post pics asap

Amy

EDIT: he also seems super skinny which is why i started with prazi pro. i think he was unable to compete with the other fish in his originonal home...

OSCARS can be very shy and do not like change.

He or she would like to hide, so if you can provide some cover- so he feels more secure -he will likely come around in bit (maybe a couple of weeks.) I would try an earthworm for food.

Also see if the temp is around 78 a bit warmer is good.

John

as silly as this sounds have you tried given the fish a toy? orange hockey ball or a floating fishing lure or something fun for him.

is there alot of water movement in the tanks ? give him some bubbles from a air stone to play with. big fish are like 2 year old kids the get board day to day in a glass box

For the most part Prazi-Pro (5% praziquantel) is a deworming agent, IMO the more likely problem is a stress induced internal bacterial infection caused by overcrowding, poor water quality and possibly aggression. Hence the reason why the fish can't swim, or even stay upright. I would try this ....... http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/KanaPlex.html

he definitely looks malnourished. i would soak some silverside pieces or bloodworms in garlic juice to entice him to eat. garlic is good for fish, it causes the fish's gut to be inhospitable to parasites, and from my experience, oscars LOVE garlic infused food. i feed my Gus his NLS pellets with garlic juice on them from time to time.

oscars will sulk for the littlest reason, lol, so don't be surprised if he takes some time to come around.

as for the problem he's having swimming/staying upright - i would use API's General Cure. it contains both metro and prazi, so both bacterial and protozoan (parasite) problems will be dealt with. I had a paratilapia polleni (black diamond cichlid) with swim bladder issues due to bacterial infection a little while ago and the General Cure fixed him right up. he was floating sideways at the top of the tank! you can get General Cure at petsmart.

If this fish has any type of internal issues going on, which it sounds like it does I personally wouldn't feed it anything until the main issue has been resolved.

A fish this size can go a long time without eating, while an internal bacterial infection can lead to far greater problems if it's not resolved early on.

thanks for all that. i think i have some of the API stuff. i will try that. can i mix with the epson salts? other then that ill just watch him and hope he gets better. :blush: thanks everyone. if this guy pulls through he will be a super awesome pet! :)

Amy

Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) can be used in conjunction with most over the counter fish medications with no issue. In a bath solution it acts as a mild laxative & will assist in purging internal protozoans such as hexamita/spironucleus. Given as an oral solution it is one of the most, if not the most effective treatment for internal parasites that I have come across in the past 40 years.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=29679&st=0&p=2219242

API General Cure is not designed to be used to treat internal bacterial infections, it's designed to treat parasites, and nematodes (worms) with each 10 gallon tablet consisting of 250mg Metronidazole & 75mg of Praziquantel. Neither of those medications will have any great effect on a serious bacterial infection.

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=62

API has products for treating bacterial infections, such as Furan 2, Triple Sulfa, and Erythromycin powder. All three products are good broad spectrum antibacterial treatments, as is Seachem Kanaplex (which I previously suggested) another very effective broad spectrum antibiotic is Maracyn I and Maracyn II, which when combined will treat both gram positive as well as gram negative bacteria.

If this is in fact an internal bacterial infection that is now affecting this fishes swim bladder you need to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic, which is why I originally suggested Seachem Kanaplex. (Kanamycin) The longer that you wait to treat the worse this condition will become.

Good Luck!