Cryptocoryne To Driftwood?

jamesbarr

hey, maybe this is popular to do, im not too sure.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten cryptocoryne to attach to driftwood at all? have a small runner that I would like to try out if it works....

Crypts usually like a rich substrate. It may well survive but likely will not,

J

I have had success growing things on driftwood using a technique I learned from out door gardening. I use a hole saw and drill holes in the driftwood in a desired place. Use a chisel and remove the drilled wood. I then fill the hole with an appropriate sub-straight, plant the desired plant and top off with a layer of sand. It actually looks quite nice!

I tried with some Crypt. wendtii, and it didn't really work. I've seen it offered in stores. It might work well in a well fertilized tank, but my tank wasn't and they never grew well. I like what Nanmer suggests, but I think you'd have to have a fairly big chunk of wood for it to work long term - you'd need a decent sized hole to fill w. substrate, or at least enough room to be able to inject/add ferts every once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first saw this topic, my thoughts were "I don't think so" and agreed that crypts need a substrate. However.... this evening I was working on my tanks and saw 2 crypts growing out of my sponge filter(and I didn't put them there). Granted, they're near the bottom of the tank and get lots of fish crap but this isn't one of my high maintenance planted tanks so not many ferts. So Mother Nature proves me wrong again....

I use wood auger bits of diferent sizes on local wood from rivers (sterlized), much cheaper.Another tip is to drill the hole big enough to fit a straw thru when you pull the plant out of the water its roots will cling togehther forming a long string slowly drop it in straw while spinning it, then put the straw end in wood hole and slowly withdraw.

If I understand correctly Eugene, you drill a pop-straw sized hole (~3/8") clear through the wood; you don't drill intending to fill the hole with substrate. The root mass is enough to hold the plant while it establishes.

So do crypt's (thread subject) root systems allow for being threaded thru a hole that small? Wood (ahem) there be enough nutrient movement through a 3/8" hole (plus roots) to keep a crypt fat and happy?

Pretty new at this, so 'scuse me if I misuderstood.

If you could get the Crypt's roots thru the wood, and the wood was on the bottom of the tank, the roots would grow into the substrate and feed the plant. That's why my Anubias (that are attached to the wood) end up doing, and that's when they really take off!

I currently don't run ferts - my tanks are low(er) light and heavily fed. However, when I was running a planted tank, I fertilized heavily - the Anubias wasn't/isn't the only plant In the tank.