Giant Alge Problem.could It Be The City Water?

hustler

I sold one of my 180 preaditor tanks to a good friend of mine that lives just north of me in the next section of the city...

he took a catfish, arowana, 2 big plecos and all the lights and equiptment i had with it.

he has 4 foot flourecents on the 180 gallon and they are on for 7 hours a day. The tank is nowhere near a window and everything he is doing or running is the exact same routine and tools i did when it was at my place.

He has such bad alge that he has to scrub the drift wood and rocks weekly and change out a bunch more water....?

the only thing i can think of seeing as i never had more than a few spots is he gets his water from a diffrent station than i do?

Im going to set up a 3 stage carbon filter system and see if i cant fix it that way but really is this possibly the problem?

The only time i saw a tank worse that this was in a front window with guppies and only the front glass was viewable becuse of the magnet..... its really bad...

If his tank is newly setup its probably just his tank going through the natural cycles. Did he fishless cycle his tank or go the regular cycle route? New tanks also go through a few stages of algae. IME its usually brown algae first, a few weeks after setting it up. Then comes the green algae which an progress into bad algae if anything is out of balance. You should be able to "diagnose" it by what type of algae he is getting and then try to fix the problem.

So what kind of algae is he getting? Is his tank fully cycled because along with being bacteria food the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are also algae food.

Its green alge that you can scrape off into sheets. The tank started this days after being moved, all the filters were run here on another tank while we moved everything else then brought over to his place. He also does the stability every week.

Ive moved many a tank without a crash or cycle and this is the first time other than a pond i have seen this kind of alge... I made sure his ammonia and nitrate/trites were in order weekly aswell just to make sure his fish wouldnt croak on him.

Also the people who live next door to him have a turtle and they boil his water for waterchanges as the alge was also crazy and thats where i first got the idea its from his tap? He lives in goldbar right off the river...

I was told recently that the Rosdale plant no longer supplies water, so all drinking water comes from one plant. I'm not sure if that really is the case, they said they'd just been to the Epcor site and found that out. If that is the case, then it couldn't be the tap water.

My guess is that your friend is feeding more food, or not doing as big WCs... or both. Feeding twice a week is fine, and 50% weekly WCs are not too much.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was doing some consulting for the water treatment plant, one if the techs was telling me that most plants add potassium to water as it prevents corrosion to pipes. Depends upon the time if the year and the circumstances which I don't recall. But test your water. Right out of the tap it could be pre fertilized for you.

Potassium shouldn't do much for causing algae - it's usually a nitrate or phosphate problem that causes algae. I know Edmonton used to add phosphate, and even though they supposedly stopped adding it a while ago, there must still be residual in the pipes bc it still comes thru - sometimes more than others.