New and different babies

HOSStile

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Heavens, no offense taken, as I said only paid a couple of dollars for them, I am probably more interested in ID of the male, they were sold together, I am waiting till the fry develop color and I will include pictures of them. Thanks for your help Hung. :)

The fry definitely show Protomelas-type markings. I'd almost guess either P. labridens (due to the somewhat more elongate snout; though the adults don't show the horizontal barring they usually do), or P. sp. 'mbenji thick lip' which often don't develop the thick lips in captivity that they have in the wild (and would also explain the less than perfect barring in the adults but almost perfect in the fry).

Edited by African_Fever

My guess is that they are some morph of protomelas taeniolatus . There are quite a few morphs displayed on Cichlid Forum and Malawi mayhem . I don't think they are hybrids but I've been wrong once before. Honestly I think they are the genuine article,I'm just not exactly sure which morph.

I've been looking at so many pictures now ,they all look the same. Kyle is pretty close on the labridens but in the pictures I've seen they(m&f) have red or orange stripe on the dorsal fin . Definately protomelas.