Stocking A 10Gl Tank

bean22

I'm going to set up a small freshwater tank in my office and want something other then a betta. will not be a planted tank, just normal colored gravel and plastic plants... I do not was guppies.... any idea???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like a tiger barb tank. You can mix some green tiger barbs with regular tiger barbs and get a nice color contrast, a fairly easily maintained tank, and active fish that are entertaining to watch. 10Gallons is pretty small though, easily overstocked. I would personally try to step it up to a 20G, costs just a fraction more and definitely worth it.

hmm.some combos that come to my mind are.

1- a shrimp tank(red,yellow,green,blue,and orange are the hardiest)

2- african dwarf frogs and a couple ottos

3- betta tank

4- a small killifish tank

5- g2 rainbowfish (talk to rainbow ric)

6- a school of pigmy corys

7- 1m/1f german blue ram(really depends if you can do lots of waterchanges)

8- some dario dario or badis badis

anyways that should get the ball rolling with some ideas,hope it helps

can't go to a 20gl, it's on a shelf above my desk! it's pushing it even getting a 10gl! I don't need a lot of fish... just a few that move around and give me something for stress relief! lol! I've always had salt for that, but having salt at work is too much to do! I still need to be able to do my job! I don't want to spend a whole lot either. so something hardy and cheap!

Can't beat the ease of shrimp and Endler's. Active, prolific and easy as pie!

Just put a CF in an incandescent hood, and float some moss, hornwort or Najas and you'll do great.

okay I have run into a slight issue that you might be able to help me with... my shelf is only 12" wide, so there is no way i will be able to fit a filter on the back with a hood.... I could go with one of those petsmart/walart "all in one" purple fish tanks but I really don't want to do that.... any ideas? I won't be able to run it off the back... so what if I tried to get a glass lid made that allows me to run it off the side.... anyone know of anyone?

A sponge or a small internal filter run by a tiny powerhead would work. If you don't want an air pump, which can be noisy, go with a small internal filter. I have 2 that I bought at AquaGiant years ago, and they were great for small tanks that I've run - shrimp, shellies, grow-out, etc.

no I do not want an air pump... I was hoping for an aquaclear 20 to create enough movement and air. I'll post an add on here to see if any one has a small internal filter.... should I just use that aquarium rock on the bottom... the colored stuff?? saltwater is so much different.. I can do that no problem! lol

how long do I have to let the water/sand cycle??? can that be turned into a planted tank? can someone give me a link on where to look for types of lighting? I only us T5HO and metal haldies for saltwater!