Stocking A 10Gl Tank

bean22

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my boss will get pissy if it's noisy... lol this whole thing is a strech but i am running with it.... if i want plants and go with flourite do i need a filter? I already have a heater! what else do I need?

An ac20 would be a great filter just make sure you get a prefilter if you're going the shrimp route.

You mean stuffing a sponge block on the end of the AC siphon tube?

Yeah, something to prevent baby shrimps from getting sucked into the filter.

yep, i believe they mean something like this

pic diddent work...

http://www.fluvaledg...ter-sponge2.jpg

Yes, will likely need a bigger one for an AC20 though.

i was told I don't need a filter just a maxi-jet for water movement...???!!! and stay ontop of my water changes!

You can get away without a filter but your water quality will be much better if you filter it, will also give you more leeway if you miss a water change or something dies in the tank.

my boss will get pissy if it's noisy... lol this whole thing is a strech but i am running with it.... if i want plants and go with flourite do i need a filter? I already have a heater! what else do I need?

A decent airpump won't be noisy. I have a fusion 400 which is a 40 gallon airpump on the tank that's about 3 feet from my bed and it makes less noise than the splash of water from my AC50. You could get a whisper 10-20, connect that to a T connector and run that to 2 smaller sponge filters. I recommend going with 2 sponges so that way when you want to clean it you don't lose all your bacteria as that's where most of it will reside. You could do 1 sponge filter but you can't give it a really deep cleaning when it gets dirty or it can give you a mini cycle. You can do plants without flourite, just stick with low light plants, even low light plants will grow a lot better with a good substrate though. Another nice thing with the plants is that they help remove nitrates from your water, and the shrimp will eat stuff growing on the plants and will eat dead plant matter. As long as your office temperature is stable and not too cool you could even get away without a heater if you're just keeping cherry shrimp or similar. If you want to keep this a simple shrimp tank you need: tank, filter (up to you whether you do air pump and sponges or a HOB filter), substrate, lighting (if you want low light plants and moss you can get a clip on desk lamp with a 13 watt daylight CFL bulb in it), having a top is up to you but is probably a good idea as it will help keep evaporation lower. Other than that you just want plants, any decorations you do or don't want and some shrimp/fish.

i wouldn't mind a few fish.... was thinking about an aquatic frog... something to look at. no decorations...i'll go to big al's and see what they have for a cheap airpump... i really do not want to spend more then $50 for everything on this tank. I have the tank, heater, light (hood) can get flourite for free....what else do I need! list please!

For fish take a look at celestial pearl danios imo if you want fish, small and colourful and shouldn't bother the shrimp. I haven't read anything for or against a frog with shrimp so you might want to wait for somebody else to chime in or do some more research. Is the hood one you can screw in a CFL bulb into? Air pump will probably set you back ~$10, $1 for t air connector, you'll probably want 2 check valves (one for each line after the T) which are $2 each i think. $5 or so in air tubing, $6 for each sponge. If you get the flourite free that leaves ~$20 for the rest. You can try to get plants and shrimp on here which will allow you to save a lot on those. Is the heater one that has a thermostat built in?

i went to big al's petsmart and got a airpump with a sponge attachment thingy! Then just went to petsmart and picked up regular aquarium gravel for the tank. no planted tank for me.... not this time anyway.. just wanted a fast set up before the boss says no... so I will be taking it in today!!! The hood has 2 bulbs that screw in.. right now they are the incandecent yellow, i'l prefer the bright white though.... what kind of shrimp can I get on here?! I was looking at the sunrise guppies.. they are kind cool...

i went to big al's petsmart and got a airpump with a sponge attachment thingy! Then just went to petsmart and picked up regular aquarium gravel for the tank. no planted tank for me.... not this time anyway.. just wanted a fast set up before the boss says no... so I will be taking it in today!!! The hood has 2 bulbs that screw in.. right now they are the incandecent yellow, i'l prefer the bright white though.... what kind of shrimp can I get on here?! I was looking at the sunrise guppies.. they are kind cool...

Got a pic or model of what you got? You can still do plants, just not heavy root feeders. My heavily planted 10g is aquarium gravel. I'll try to get some pics of it later. And if you put a 13 watt daylight bulb into the hood you'll have plenty of light, depending on planting you might even want to use 1 bulb down the line to avoid algae. Post up a thing in the livestock classifieds asking for cherry shrimp, you might get lucky and find somebody willing to sell them waaaay cheaper than a pet store, it doesn't take much to get a colony going either.

I'll get a pic and post it tonight. it's the typical ugly thrown together style fish tank! still no water in it as i have to re-enforce the shelf and drill a few holes for the power cords. What are these glow fish i keep reading about? I do want an otto and aquatic frog... will they eat shrimp???

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dwarf frog in my shrimp tank and haven't noticed many missing. But then again I tend to leave them be other then feeding and cleaning lol. I had the normal ligh that came with the tank on it for almost a year with great plant growth. Mind you I have all low light plants in there, don't reall use ferts unless I remember to dose either.

I'm going to set up a small freshwater tank in my office and want something other then a betta. will not be a planted tank, just normal colored gravel and plastic plants... I do not was guppies.... any idea???

I'd suggest something themed like a small river tank.

7 danios (zebra, leopard, longfin, etc)

1 dwarf puffer

3 zebra nerite snails

1 red lobster crayfish (optional)

Get a small current going and voila! River stones to fill out the bottom of the tank...

Edited by The_Little_One