Low Maintenance High-Light Plants?

The_Little_One

Vals, swords an Crypts all fit that bill. If you want them to grow quite tall, add some root tabs under them.

How much light do you have?

I'm assuming by "low maintance plants" you are reffering to how much pruning they require. Just choose plants like crypts,java fern, vals, swords, etc. Any plant that isn't a stem plant.

But having high light can have problems, so I'd recommend reducing the lights unless you really want to get into plants. With high light(and no co2, ferts) you'll be fighting algae issues.

It it possible to have a low-medium light low maintnance tank. Having a high light tank is just a little more difficult.

I've got two T5HO lights directly above my tank - according to one of the charts on this forum that makes it a high-light tank. I don't mind trimming now and then, but I want to try and find plants that will survive without me messing around with ferts - they can harm my other livestock. (At least that's what I've come to think at present).

2x39watts over a 75g tank isn't high light, thats around 1w/gal

You should be fine growing plants like crypts, java fern, vals, anubias, swords, any low/med light plant.

Why do you think ferts will hurt your livestock?

Interesting... according to the lighting chart in this forum I've got high-lighting. There is too much conflicting info out there... From what I can tell it's super bright and I think it's roasting nearly everything - and there was a big algae outbreak two days ago as well, so that also leads me to think all the more that it's high-light.

I've heard bad things about ferts and inverts - and I'd like to keep things as natural as possible; no additives, chemicals, etc.

2x39watts over a 75g tank isn't high light, thats around 1w/gal

You should be fine growing plants like crypts, java fern, vals, anubias, swords, any low/med light plant.

Why do you think ferts will hurt your livestock?

Interesting... according to the lighting chart in this forum I've got high-lighting. There is too much conflicting info out there... From what I can tell it's super bright and I think it's roasting nearly everything - and there was a big algae outbreak two days ago as well, so that also leads me to think all the more that it's high-light.

I've heard bad things about ferts and inverts - and I'd like to keep things as natural as possible; no additives, chemicals, etc.

The watts per gallon rule doesn't apply to t5ho lighting. The chart was created using a par meter which is a device that measures useable light.

As for nutrients, I can assure you that they will not hurt your lifestock but I can understand if thats not the path you want to go on. Your best bet if you want to keep things as low maintenance as possible is to remove one bulb. Light drives demand for co2 and for nutrients. The less light you have the less you need of the latter.

a few tall growing high-light plants that don't require iron enrichers, etc.

Most stem plants fit the bill.

Rotala comes to mind. It will enjoy any amount of light you can throw @ it.

The same could be said for hygro. difformis

and both will be covered in algae unless co2/nutrients are added.

Edited by ubr0ke