A Lunch Time Surprise

Fisher

I am always humbled to see fish live and die in my tanks. It's just as humbling to see this part of their life cycle.

Update:

5 eggs were gone yesterday :blush:

This morning was transfer day. Only one egg remains out of the 16 I originally located; one of the two in the right photo :boxed:

I just read on Planetcatfish that the eggs hatch in 5 days. I didn't look at the tank too closely on Monday. And I certainly wasn't expecting cory eggs.

So I can't say for sure when the eggs were actually deposited. The water values are solid, temp is 75oF.

If the eggs are pleco food, I would expect both eggs in the right photo to be gone instead of one.

If they hatched, the fry from the eggs in the left photo could be in my canister.

Where else would I look for cory fry?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a tale of another dup breeder that claimed that the other Cory's that weren't part of the breeding group eat the eggs. He also claimed that they would lat eggs in java miss in the tank.

Or maybe the Pleco was saving that last one for later. Who knows. Hopefully they turn up.

They're pretty small, so they could be almost anywhere. They'll be where it's dark, so under driftwood, clumps of moss or debris, hidden in piles of detritus... there is also a good chance they're in the filter; however, they may survive there for some time.

Marina makes a Breeding/Holding container that is perfect for emergency situations like the one you've got. They come in 3 sizes and you could have harvested the eggs as soon as you saw them. The container hangs on the side of the tank and only requires a single air line for it's operation.

Marina makes a Breeding/Holding container that is perfect for emergency situations like the one you've got. They come in 3 sizes and you could have harvested the eggs as soon as you saw them. The container hangs on the side of the tank and only requires a single air line for it's operation.

A wise friend of mine introduced me to these gadgets, and they're great! I have 2 of them right now (the large and medium) and have found them great for raising baby plecos to the 1/2" mark when I can be sure they'll be able to find plenty of food in the larger tank.

They'll be where it's dark, so under driftwood, clumps of moss or debris, hidden in piles of detritus...

Hope springs eternal ^_^

There plenty of places in there that fit your description Jason. Few I can closely scrutinize - mostly because I'm an old guy.

I read a tale of another dup breeder that claimed that the other Cory's that weren't part of the breeding group eat the eggs. He also claimed that they would lat eggs in java miss in the tank.

Never thought of that Jay. Currently there are three; the one cory that didn't have any barbels died a couple wks ago (the little guy with the strong color). I reckon I have 1M2F. The girls are pretty chubby, but only one of the two regularily waltzes with what I think is a male. There's a bit of java in there too. Possibilities abound.

Oh for CRYING OUT LOUD! ... How smart is that? :thumbs:

buy you a drink sailor ? :beer:

I went and bought one of these after you PM'd me about them. They are so slick. Gonna order some more from Kens they are wicked!

Two net boxes passed through my hands in the past 6 months. I thought, "Nah! If I need one of those, I'll just start up another tank."

...dim-wit. :eh:

If I understand correctly, syno321 is talking about an external refugium.

edit: Apart from not occupying any inside cubes - does it have any other advantages over a net box?

Edited by Fisher

It is a plastic box that hangs on the side of the tank, it has a tube that goes into the main tank and has an airline that works as a lift tube to circulate the water into it, it then overflows back into the tank.

I have found with nets, fry get squished between the frame and net, and/or get sucked out by other tank Inhabitants. Also the suction cups let loose and they get out. The Marina gizmo is fool proof, which is what I need. If something can backfire, it will.

Edited by Jayba

I did have to modify it a bit so baby rainbows didn't just flow out w. the rest of the water - I just cut a small piece of sponge, the size of the overflow and problem solved.

I love your snails! Cory's are nice in my books but antennas will grab my attention anytime!

Thanks! I was a snail skeptic. After doing some reading, and a bit of dialoging here, I was convinced to reconsider. At their current size, they're quite a presence.