Over Filtered, Ok To Overstock?

epiphany

Hey, I'm looking to get some opinions on whether what I'm looking to do will work. I'm considering adding a school of rummynose tetras or similar to my tank, probably 6-8 of them depending what opinions may be. My current tank is:

35gallon tank (30x12x22)

Aquaclear 50, Marineland 150b, air pump rated for 40 gallons split into one sponge filter and one corner filter filled with biomax. Not counting the air filters I'm already at a 10x water turnover rate.

Lightly planted

7x golden barbs, 2x dwarf gouramis, 1x ABN pleco, 4x otos, 1x flower shrimp, 2x amano shrimp and a handful of ghost shrimp.

Water quality wise I don't think I'd run into an issue as the tank is quite over filtered and I run purigen in one of the HOB filters, and my barbs tend to stay in the lower half of the tank for the most part so I think the rummies would mostly stay in the top more open area. So does anybody have any opinions on whether this would be feasible? Thanks.

i wouldn't see a problem if I were going to do this by what you say here. Do you have mts to eat detritus?

My substrate is almost impeccable despite the fish currently in it. Between the 2 amanos, however many ghost shrimp (probably 10-15, can't actually count them) and the colony of MTS i've got in there now there's little-no mulm or detritus, substrate is as black as the day I put it in except for a couple spots.

I don't know if there's many fish that will school well in a smaller tank, especially once they're comfortable with their surroundings.

I was thinking that with the gouramis swimming around that they would generally stay pretty close together. That's my hope anyway.

Rummynose do tend to stay near the bottom, white cloud minnows tend to stay near the top, zebra danioa, hatchetfish are top dwellers, at least mine do. Sounds like a fantastic set up..

Rummynose do tend to stay near the bottom, white cloud minnows tend to stay near the top, zebra danioa, hatchetfish are top dwellers, at least mine do. Sounds like a fantastic set up..

Hmm, I was under the impression that rummies enjoyed the upper area. I've got white clouds in my 10 gallon so would like something different for my 35, hatchetfish are interesting but from what I know they just stay in one spot for the most part which I don't want. Ideally I want something that would stay in a fairly nice school and stay in the upper portion of the tank for the most part, having some nice colours would be good too.

Rummy nose are nice fish but they do tend to stay in the middle/bottom, not so much the top. Also their schooling only lasts for so long. I have a group of them in my planted tank with angelfish. At first they schooled beautifully as they were scared of the angelfish. After about a month they stopped schooling as much and kind of broke off into smaller groups or just swim randomly around by themselves now.

In my experience with different "schooling" fish is after a while of being in a tank they stop the behaviour, even with "predator" type fish swimming around. I've tried larger groups, different types of fish, and even with larger fish swimming around they always loose the schooling behaviour once they get used to the tank.

Also in a smaller tank they don't always show their best schooling anyways.

But Rummynose are gorgeous fish and look great in a planted tank anyways.

The only issues I've seen with a overstocked tank (thoroughly filtered) is in the case of a power outtage or tank crash. Since there is more bio load in a smaller space if SHTF the problems get worse at a faster rate.

Turns out I mixed up leaf fish and hatchetfish. The hatchets would actually be some interesting little fish to have in there, and seem to fit the bill perfectly. Do you have silver or marbled hatchets? I figure I might go with 7-8 hatchets, not sure if I want to do silver or marbled though.