Peat?

Jayba

Just wondering if someone has has success with a particular brand of peat moss from a garden center? What brand was it etc? Price size blablabla. Pass along the knowledge if there is any. I should also note, proven first hand experience only please. If I wanted theory, I wouldn't have asked. :)

Edited by Jayba

When I used pear, I just went to Rona or HD or wherever and bought the big bale of 100% Canadian Peat. I beleive it was about 2-3' high. I just used the last of it this winter in a couple houseplant pots - this last one lasted a few years.

Peat is great for lowering pH and hardness. Doing so often helps get many fish into the mood. :)

Peat is great for lowering pH and hardness. Doing so often helps get many fish into the mood. :)

This IS what I'm up to. While in Mexico my fish were in tap water plus some extra hardness for good measure. Now its time for some cool soft water, good food, peat, dim lights and hopefully some Pleco sexyness.

since that is your want...don't throw it in the filter but do it outside of your tank.

A little sprinkle around the edge? Or, do you make a nice bed all the way around the tank - maybe plant some pansies and tulips?

I always just threw a bunch in a pot and boiled it for a bit, then - when it cooled - put several handfuls into a nylon and either threw it in the tank right under the filter return or in the filter itself. If you don't boil it, it either takes forever to start softening up, and you get the problem that people are talking about of crud floating in the tank.

since that is your want...don't throw it in the filter but do it outside of your tank.

A little sprinkle around the edge? Or, do you make a nice bed all the way around the tank - maybe plant some pansies and tulips?

ya know im sure getting a poop load of smart alec comments...enough so that i feel like just del this damn account and taking off.

oh yes. you got me 100% i sprinkle on the outside of the tank to grow pansies and tulips! I never thought i was so much of a mirror.

Sorry about the joke, but you didn't really give any info - I was just wondering what you do if you don't put it in your filter, and keep it outside the tank.