Why Is Bamboo So Expensive? Will My Fish Like It?

Chatty_Platy

I went out this weekend in hopes to find some reasonably priced bamboo for my tank.

I think the fish don't really find it to interesting considering it's just a stick to them but wondering others opinions on it for a planted tank.

I went to multiple pet stores and for one small bamboo stick they charge anywhere between $5-$7. Is it just me or is this crazily over priced?

Finally I remembered Ikea sell bamboo and purchased 4 stick for about $2 each. I was very unsure about doing this considering it's from Ikea and not a fish store (might have bacteria unknown to the fish world)

That's my rant about bamboo prices.

Does bamboo do anything for my tank or just make it look interesting?

i got my bamboo at canadian tire in the garden section.

just to be safe give them a rinse first,i believe they are $2.75 each

bamboo cleans your water slightly,and it also is a nice decoration

Edited by Sprucegruve

I'd be more worried about fertiliers and such than bacteria.

yep thats what i was worried about,just a quick rinse and no problems when it was added to my tanks

I get them from walmart, my guppies loved chewing on the leaves and would swim around the corkscrew variety

i believe bamboo does best if you only submerge the bottom(roots and stem)

the leaves are saposto grow above water i think.

but if it is working for you let me know it would save me some work,i use an elastic band to hold my bamboos lleaves out of the water

I found when I had bamboo completely submerged, the leaves didn't grow much. Though it could have just been from the spixi's munching on them...not sure. I get mine from Wal-mart or Home Depot, much cheaper than the pet stores...they're robbing you at those prices.

i use an elastic band to hold my bamboos lleaves out of the water

How do you do that? I've been growing mine in vases to let them get long enough to not have to do something like that...but if there's a way to do it then I might try. Save me 5 years of growing them lol

Lol I put them in a vase for a bit till they grow a bit and also attach them to the tops of decorations so they have less distance to grow then move them down as needed

I have had 5 bamboo in my 110 gallon for about 2 years. They do ok but the tops need to stick out of the tank and tend to go brown after a while. I have new growth on the bottom and it seems fine growing under water. I am sure they would do better if the roots were undisturbed but the fish seem to dig them up. They are great at bringing a bit of green life to a tank where the fish are not plant friendly. I have three growing in my fluval chi and they really don't seem to be doing much. I think I am going to have to find them a new home with better substraight.

They may grow better in tanks that have added ferts - just a guess, tho, as I've never owned one.

Yeah the leaves do tend to go brown when submerged unless you have a strong current going. Mine grew like crazy even had new leaves grow. Pleco would munch them and the other fish would get the roots. I had no "backed up" fish when I had them in my tank. I also got mine at walmart. Rinse them throughly the first night in luke warm water and then vase them and change the water and rinse out the vase everyday for a week. Gets out any possible contaminant from the cheap fertilizer.