If You Could Start All Over Again Knowing What You Know Now....

RTB71

Ok so I am new to the hobby and I am determined to have a reef tank. There is just no other option for me its what I want and I'm going to do it no matter what. I know I have painful lessons in front of me the kind you only experience from making mistakes and learning from them. So here is my question to all you veterans out there. If you could start over again knowing what you know now, in what order would your complete your first set up to avoid any head aches. I am going slow with my build, trying to read all the info that I can. From all the info I have read so far this seems to me to be the best order to proceed in which to give my self the greatest opportunity for success. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I left something out feel free to add it in, if the order is wrong for you thats ok, what's your order ?

1. reef ready tank

2. stand

3. sump

4. return pump

5. skimmer

6. RODI + accessories, salt ect.

7. lighting

8. sand

9. live rock

10. patience

11. coral frags

12. power heads

13. patience

14. fish

thanks again! :)

I made some dumb mistakes, just cause I thought I could overcome the other advise....but this is what I would do if I were to do it again. I also would spend the extra money for the good stuff next go round.

(just a minor adjustment to your order)

1. reef ready tank

2. Powerheads

3. stand

4. sump

5. return pump

6. skimmer

7. RODI + accessories, salt ect.

8. lighting

9. sand

10. live rock

11. patience

12. Fish

13. Patience

14. Corals

Auto top-up of RODI water for the sump. That was my biggest headache when my 90g was saltwater - having to carry a 3g bucket every couple of days.

Also wished I had room for a big garbage can to store extra water in. I was always running out.

I found out about two weeks late that my Reef tank was just over the algae hurtle... I'd already sold off most of my corals when the hair algae started to disappear. :(

Once you start adding livestock (including LR), patience is by far the most important.

I got lucky with my first setup. It was low maintenance...no skimmer. It was a 40 gallon tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoanthids, even some of stony corals where growing. I had gsp puffer, damsels, and some inverts that got away from the puffers, full of mini stars. I used tap water and the biggest thing was I did not do waterchange for a long time (over a year...just topping off....NOT A GOOD PRACTICE!) I thought if everything is thriving why mess it up right?! My guilt got the best of me and I did a 25 percent change and CRASH! Should've just continued what I was doing...it WAS working.

Again not a practice that I would encourage people to follow. There was a balance within that tank the worked well I think the 60 Lbs of liverock helped a lot. Next time...if it aint broken, dont try to fix it...LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest thing that i would change about my setup is the depth of the tank 13 inches deep is not enough for a decent aquascape in a 50 gal (long tank). Then i was never happy and i would fuss with it and that stresses everything out . A sump would have been a life saver too . Third on the list would be a controller even a cheap reefkeeper lite is fantastic and stops heaters from frying your tank after youve worked hard to get it where you want.

If I could start over, which I will eventually, the tank would be custom from ground up.

In wall 2 sides exposed 4' cube tank 2' high

DIY LEDs all separately dimmable

custom stand, sump, and frag tank plumbed in

Algae Scrubber

Skimmer rated higher then water volume

separate QT/holding tank on separated system

ATO system

RO/DI with auto top off rigged in,

Auto water change tanks

Separate sump room so the sumb isnt heard nor seen unless to do maintenance

I think i'm basicall describing my dream system.. lol I could go on all day

• 1 year later...

I researched every aspect of the Saltwater hobby. I wanted a FOWLR but with the possibility of having corral in the future. I went through everything about water (RO/DI), ATO, salt types and quality, sump designs and types of overflow's, what type of plumbing, return pumps, fuge or not to fuge, skimmers, LED's, sand...DSB or not and type of sand, type and kind of rock, live or dead. It seemed the list was endless. I have never heard of GFO or 'reactors' before even after 10 years of keeping planted tanks. Then, fish types and compatiblity.

Yeah talk about a learning curve and it felt like I was drinking from a fire hose!

So after all the research I went completely custom tank, and stand designed by me from the ground up. I took most of the best practices I could find, read lots of the horror stories and "I wish I have done.." threads and integrated them into my tank design. So far, I am very happy with my salty!

• 5 months later...