Stock

tc51

Ok here's my story

I have a 185 gal 72x20x30 that I have been trying to set-up as a font tank for a while now, but as it 's not going to happen for a while as the fonts I want are realy expensive.

So here I am with a large tank and dont know what to put in there,

I know what you guys are thinking not another stocking question :blink: :blink:

But I realy would appreciate any suggestions you guys have

I was thinking Mbuna.I just want to have a colorful community type set-up while moderatly active, I dont want global war breaking out.

So there it is, another stocking question after all.

Thanks for you help guys

Tom.

Edited by tc51

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the less aggresive mbuna are

Ps. saulosi

Iodotropheus sprengerae

yellow labs ( Lab. perlmutts are also fairly peaceful)

Ps. "acei"

So these species would be a good choice to pick from if you dont' want to much fighting. Depending on how many speices you want you could either go with 2 species and have larger groups. Or a few of each. I personally prefer larger groups of fewer species as it makes for a more striking tank.

If you look through some species profiles it will also help us as then you will know what sort of look you want for this tank.

If it were my tank i would do this.

10- 12 Ps. saulosi

10- 12 Ps.acei

maybe a trio of a hap(red empress, P.electra)

and a group of syno petricola

An all Hap tank in my mind would consist of:

4 Cyrtocara moorii (1 male, 3 females)

4 Protmelas sp. "taiwan reef" (1 male, 3 females) (or any other Protomelas sp.)

4 Aulonocara sp (any of your choice) (1 male, 3 females)

4 Copadichromis azureus OR borleyi (1 male, 3 females)

4 Placidochromis phenochilus (1 males, 3 females)

4 Otopharynx lithobates (1 males, 3 females)

4 Nimbochromis venustus (1 males, 3 females)

All of the above can live together as well as breed in the same tank with zero to minimal chance of cross-breeding.

If you want to start out with juvies, I would get 6-7 of each and weed them out as they get older.

Also, in the future, if you want to add fronts to the tank or even grow out fronts with them, this would work as all the above will grow to 5-7 inches each.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Later,

Edited by rahim101

Personally, a tank that size ---DISCUS :wub::wub:B)B)

But that is just me :D:D

Naw, go for the africans.

Looks like you are getting some very good selection advice.

sounds like you have work on your hands - selecting .... :o:o

Thanks very much for your replies, looks like I have some research to do I have not kept any haps and only the most peaceful mbuna yellows ,electric blue,etc

So I will do the research, and then get a hold of Albert to see if golds can help me out ordering what I go with. The pictures I have see so far of the haps, some of the colour the males display is spectacular.

And Valerie, if I do go the mbuna way your selection would fit just right.

Discus scare me not enough experiance yet, Smokey, maybe someday.

Thanks again for your help, guys I realy appreciate it.

Tom.

Edited by tc51

I love haps too and they would make a great choice since you have a larger tank. The only draw back is that the females of most haps dont' have much color. So if you are looking for a showy/flashy tank having groups with lots of females might not cut it.

I would love to get some Placidochromis phenochilus. The males are the most beautiful fish i have ever seen. Reminds me of the kids book "rainbow fish"

Also, in the future, if you want to add fronts to the tank or even grow out fronts with them, this would work as all the above will grow to 5-7 inches each.

I'm thinking those C. moorii & N. venustus will get a tad bit bigger than 5-7".

Hey Tom, just my 2 cents worth, but if I had a 185 sitting around (uh yeah, don't I wish) I'd fill it with 20 C. moori juvies (and remove any extra males as they mature, keeping perhaps 3 males and the rest females), and 20 of the best yellow lab juvies I could find.

Great color, lots of action with the labs (yet no serious aggression), and in a larger tank of that size the moori will school, just like in the wild. Also, both of those groups have females that show great color. IMO the perfect blue/yellow combo for a larger tank of that size.

Cyrtocara moorii juvies are easy to find, but good quality yellow labs are a bit more difficult to locate.

Hey Tom, just my 2 cents worth, but if I had a 185 sitting around (uh yeah, don't I wish) I'd fill it with 20 C. moori juvies (and remove any extra males as they mature, keeping perhaps 3 males and the rest females), and 20 of the best yellow lab juvies I could find. 

Great color, lots of action with the labs (yet no serious aggression), and in a larger tank of that size the moori will school, just like in the wild.  Also, both of those groups have females that show great color.  IMO the perfect blue/yellow combo for a larger tank of that size.   

Cyrtocara moorii juvies are easy to find, but good quality yellow labs are  a bit more difficult to locate.

RD's right about the C.Moori they are a great cichlid that doesnt get to overly aggressive and they are beautiful when they school together in a large tank

From experience i picked out 15 juvies which 3 of those died just after recieving them still have the 12 now in a 220 gallon tank housed with some Fronts .The only time that i seen any kind of aggression is when the alpha male decided he wanted to get jiggy with one of the females.My largest one is about 5 inches now and it looks like there's definately 4 males that i can see now looking to cull some soon but i'm having a hard time deciding which ones :huh:

Got some info from Victor, looks like I will be adding 5 zare fonts got a realy good deal, Fin if you are looking to thin-out you Moori soon let me know maybe we can work out something.

Tom.

Thanks for the info from everyone.