What To Feed A Young Redtail Cat

justink

hey everyone,

I have a young redtail catfish about 5" long and he is not eating the pellets I put in the tank. The pellets are just regular sinking pellets for catfish. I have also tried blood worms as well but he will not take them. Instead he is just eating the algae cakes for my Pleco. Advie would be greatly appreciated.

Wow never thot i'd see the day when someone had problems feeding their RTC haha.

Did you just pick him up? If so, allow him to settle in; keep up with water quality and he should be eating anything in no time.

Edited by tomuhs

Wow never thot i'd see the day when someone had problems feeding their RTC haha.

Did you just pick him up? If so, allow him to settle in; keep up with water quality and he should be eating anything in no time.

Yea he is still relatively new I bought him about two weeks ago. Everytime I feed him all he goes for is the cakes every time, I'll keep watching him to see if anything changes. Would the cakes be enough for him?

hey everyone,

I have a young redtail catfish about 5" long and he is not eating the pellets I put in the tank. The pellets are just regular sinking pellets for catfish. I have also tried blood worms as well but he will not take them. Instead he is just eating the algae cakes for my Pleco. Advie would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest to try Repashy Meat Pie. It is a high quality gel food and our catfish love it. The nice thing about this food is that it doesn't spoil quickly (it can stay in the tank uneaten for two days without any problem). For that reason, it is a good food for fish that likes to graze (eat only a little at once). The downside is that it requires extra work, the gel has to be made by mixing the powder with hot water and than kept in a fridge (2 weeks) or a freezer (up to one year) . If your family doesn't mind seeing fish food in the fridge, your fish should like it more than pellets, since it is more natural.

• 1 month later...

I had 4 red tails about 4" when I got them and found they would not eat anything that was small size. No frozen shrimp no bloodworms no pellets smaller than 2 mm. I fed them live earthworms from Canadian Tire and cut up smelts until they got bigger and could eat whole smelts and shrimps. I also only fed them every 2nd day when they were that size and then only every 3 days as they got to 6 or 7". My remaining one I feed only every 4 days and he is now about 22" after 2 years. He now gets a large herring or blue shad or 8 or 9 big shrimp as a treat.They will only be active if they are getting hungry otherwise they just lay around the bottom if fed every day. He also never took pellets again after he got to about 6" and all my other big cats just love them.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I feed my RTC/TSN hybrid is those nutrafin sinking shrimp pellets. He also eats koi pellets. I never really offered him any other options, I just added in some pellets right before I turned off the tank lights and he figured out what to do with them pretty quickly. He's grown from about 3-ish inches to roughly 6-8 inches over the past 9 months or so. I'm sure he could be bigger but I keep him in a coldwater tank and I'm sure that doesn't help anything...I also only feed every couple of days.