Pygmy Chain Swords...crashing?

jamesbarr

Hey,

My chains seem to all be yellowing. Not too sure why. All my other plants are fine. My fish are doing well too. Has anyone had experience with this happening in their tanks? Ive had them about 3 months. Only recent change was an increase in stock. I put a school of white cloud minnows, and added 4 serpae tetras.

Did the usual remedy, w/c. Any thoughts?

Edited by jamesbarr

If you don't add ferts to the tank, adding some tiny chunks for root fertilizer would help (Jobe's for ferns & palms). If you are fertilizing, add more KNO3 or whatever you're using for nitrate.

ok, so im in a small town and our lfs has no aquarium ferts (also no live plants) I have heard of the miracle gro option but have been leery. What kind of fert are you buying (20-20-20?) and is there a per gallon quantity to put in? I mean do you only break up one stick for your tank or do you use a formula?

hi... I thought I saw you had posted a question earlier about adding salt to the tank as preventative measure for ich etc. but cant seem to find it now that I have a little time to make a post.

when I was still new to the hobby and didnt have a QT tank I did a treatment with aquarium salt for ich in my planted tank and it did kill off some of my foreground plants. While it might aid in oxygen exchange in small amounts I would not suggest adding any salt to your freshwater tank.

otherwise +1 to adding ferts to your substrate for your chain swords. what kind of substrate, co2 and lighting do you have for your tank?

There was a previous post about salt. I changed the whole thing since I had figured that it might actually be a deficiency in my column. However, in thinking more about it, and looking harder at them this morning after my w/c, I do once again think it was the salt. However I dont think it was the salt quantity so much as the application of the salt that caused the problem. When I dosed the salt in my tank, I just dropped it in. It dissolved on the bottom of my tank. I figure that I burned them. When I looked at them a little harder this morning, I found that the out leaves are the ones that are yellow, the inner ones seem unaffected. Next time, Ill dissolve the salt first....total rookie move.

At the moment, I have a low tech setup. Id like to keep it that way. I have no Co2 and a single ballast t8 for a light. I have play sand for my sub. I am interested in something to use for my tank as a low tech, low maintenance boost for my chains. Im not really into a continuous supplement system that I will have to worry about dosing or doing lots of w/cs. I realise that means slower growth but im ok with that.

If your sand is around 2" thick, go down to the hardware store and pick up some Jobe's or Miracle Grow spikes, and break them into small pieces (about 1/2" or less) and push a couple under your swords - push if all the way to the bottom of the tank. Try not to disturb them for a month at least, as you could cause an algae bloom by releasing the ferts into the water column. Your plants will love you for it!

Yellowing leaves, especially around veins is a sign of the lack of iron. However I have never seen it in a tank with fish; even a few small fish produce enough nutrients for all plants in the tank. I would rather think of some other reason, like salt issue you mentioned, especially if only one kind of plants is affected. Other possible reasons: any changes in pH or dH recently? And most importantly, any changes in light intensity? May it be that your T8 has worn off and needs to be replaced? They are only good for 6-8 months. May it be that during earlier season of the year the tank was [more] exposed to natural light from a window? May it be that other plants grew up and now shade your swords from natural light? In either case adding increasing light may give an answer

Edited by Znaika

• 5 weeks later...

If your sand is around 2" thick, go down to the hardware store and pick up some Jobe's or Miracle Grow spikes, and break them into small pieces (about 1/2" or less) and push a couple under your swords - push if all the way to the bottom of the tank. Try not to disturb them for a month at least, as you could cause an algae bloom by releasing the ferts into the water column. Your plants will love you for it!

What parameter sticks do you recommend? 20-20-20?

I've used about 3 different Jobe's spikes with success; however, when I was first introduced to them, it was recommended to use the ones for Ferns and Palms b/c they have lower levels of ferts, and the lowest ratio of phosphorus (back in the day, it was thought P was THE cause of algae in planted tanks)

Just like the bits boys have said, ferts in the substrate. I have heard many a aquatic plant guru say this for amazon swirds. I never could keep one alive until I started this.

Another option if you have ferts is make ice cubes out if them, and stuff them very quickly before they melt under the plant.

Edited by Jayba