Is The Cas Website A Reflection Of The Status Of The Club?

2000LX

I've watched the website(what little one can access without being a member)for several months to try and get a sense of the club and their activities. I can't help but notice how slow updates are with regard to upcoming meetings. I believe meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month, but even as of today there is no mention of a February meeting, as January is still posted. I believe a club is much more than a website, but it is the face that many of us rely on to help understand how viable the club is. I have to say, it sure seems un-organized.

Are you volunteering your services to update the website? Volunteers keep things running. Sign up and help help out!

The site I feel is a mute point. You want to learn something, interact with other hobbiests, win stuff etc. go to meetings. you want to look at fish stuff, there is a lot on the interweb. :)

I've watched the website(what little one can access without being a member)for several months to try and get a sense of the club and their activities. I can't help but notice how slow updates are with regard to upcoming meetings. I believe meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month, but even as of today there is no mention of a February meeting, as January is still posted. I believe a club is much more than a website, but it is the face that many of us rely on to help understand how viable the club is. I have to say, it sure seems un-organized.

the members area you don't see is quite active with both hardware and livestock sales and purchases etc. I myself have found that through contacts made there I've been able to gain access to fish I never would have seen ;)

Big thanks to our members for making some of these fish (in my case) available :)

Antonio

I think it would be great to see the updates done sooner too. But I don't know anything about web stuff.

The issue I am having is I sent an email a week or two ago to get a tank for the jar show and to find out what the jar show is going to be, and still haven't heard back.

I also sent an email a week or two ago to find out what my user name and password is so I can access the rest of the site. But haven't heard back. I joined the club for the first time at the January meeting and still can't access the site.

That being said having the discounts is nice and I did get some cool free fish at the meeting

Edited by kristarockstar

... but even as of today there is no mention of a February meeting, as January is still posted...

Still much better that the Edmonton's club banner above on this very page, proudly announcing a pot luck and bowl show at the next meeting on Dec 6, 2011 :)))

If any CAS members are having issues with their membership or renewals, please pm or email(fishclubgirl@shaw.ca) me and I will get it taken care of. Our membership director is facing some health issues so I'm the backup. Sorry about this folks!!

Please take note of all that is said in this thread. Whatever you get from association with people of like interests is directly reflective of what you give. People who volounteer in these organizations do so to contribute and their time is valued immensely. They are not reaping any benefit other than associating with people of like interests, making friends, learning, and helping that association they care about.

Edited by syno321

Ok folks, when you want something done, ask the super e-fishent fishclubgirl!! Website and membership updated. Now can I go and work on my tanks....

I absolutely agree that a club is what the members and volunteers make of it. I spent 6 years in another city and worked diligently with the fish club as everything from V.P. to BAP chair to auction organizers plus everything that went between. When I left town I really felt like we had done some good and the club is a really well run unit. Clubs need good people, but more importantly, they need new blood. If you don't entice new members, those existing members will eventually get burnt out. How do you attract new members if the only exposure to on members is the website and you limit it's access.

My comment was simply asked as an outsider trying to get a peek into how things are. The site is too restrictive I feel, in that non-members can't access really anything, other than a few ads and an outdated notice board about upcoming meetings. Let people have limited access to view the workings of the club, and maybe you'll see an increase in your membership.

Seems kind of senseless posting this on a third party website, but I was just trying to understand where this club was headed. I think I know the answer.

2000LX -Sounds like you're just the person any club would appreciate having in it's membership. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology, and I really think that any electronic ways of communicating is vastly inferior to person to person. I think that you would agree that the only true way to assess a club and it's membership is to meet the members and get involved. Some of my message was meant for others.

It's postings like this that will have the club members evaluating what still needs to be done... and of course the more help and ideas that is received, the better the club becomes.

Well, I hope so, because it was offered in a constructive way. Maybe some discussions will be generated by it, and help things out.

When I first joined the Calgary Aquarium Society, we had no HAP, BAP,and jar show participants,home competition, magazine, no presence with CAOAC and sometimes no presentations. Who doesn't love the round table discussions on fish?? Actually they weren't that bad. We were at 50 members but things have really changed!! We are now at 70 members, have HAP, BAP programs on the go and a fiercely contested jar show,active participation with CAOAC, monthly magazines, home competition and presentations. Quite frankly, if our website is not to up to date(which it is now) and that's our only concern, that's pretty awesome and I'm proud to be a member!!

I have belonged to quite a few clubs in the past. I quit due to the self serving nature of members. I joined the CAS and found the opposite to be true. The membership are always eager to share knowledge. My success is also their success. The knowledge each member brings to the table is amazing! The guest speakers and the regular membership do a great job of providing informative topics at each meeting.

Running the club and putting on events is not an easy task. People have lives and to give so much of their free time is to be commended. Do they do a perfect job? No, but certainly good enough for me to be proud to belong. A club requires members to donate time and skills. If someone has a personal specialty, then please step up and offer any assistance. New people and new ideas keep a club growing.

Hats off to the executives and members who work hard to keep things running.

Thanks for a night out with some great people that make the club so much fun!