Stores With Callamanus Worms

Jayba

Free Worms with purchase!  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's all in the intial planning, I've only ever seen one store with a 100% independent drip system for its freshwater side, aquarium central. Where zero water is shared. We are fortunate enough at the store to be able to quarantine new fish off and treat them, without it spreading to other tanks, but not every store is going to be that lucky. And sometimes even our best suppliers send us fish that we have to take months treating. Though I will agree, we try our damn hardest to not sell sick fish, and treat them with the proper medications, as should our friendly competitors. Or anyone selling animals for that matter.

Though on that same note, quarantine should always be done of an animal taken home, just because a store treats a sickness and it looks clear, doesn't mean the stress of taking things home won't make things rear their ugly heads. Fish diseases can hide for ages before showing any signs. If a fish looks healthy for two weeks, with no signs of infection, it seems reasonable to put it on sale, which things may pop up after taking them home, which how can we blame anyone for that?

I think it needs to be a combo between store and keeper. The store to carry proper meds, and try to not sell sick fish ( stores make more selling you fish than meds, as dry good margins are terrible), and the keeper to quarantine before adding to main system.

Edited by CursiveDuck

It's all in the intial planning, I've only ever seen one store with a 100% independent drip system for its freshwater side, aquarium central. Where zero water is shared. We are fortunate enough at the store to be able to quarantine new fish off and treat them, without it spreading to other tanks, but not every store is going to be that lucky. And sometimes even our best suppliers send us fish that we have to take months treating. Though I will agree, we try our damn hardest to not sell sick fish, and treat them with the proper medications, as should our friendly competitors. Or anyone selling animals for that matter.

Though on that same note, quarantine should always be done of an animal taken home, just because a store treats a sickness and it looks clear, doesn't mean the stress of taking things home won't make things rear their ugly heads. Fish diseases can hide for ages before showing any signs. If a fish looks healthy for two weeks, with no signs of infection, it seems reasonable to put it on sale, which things may pop up after taking them home, which how can we blame anyone for that?

I think it needs to be a combo between store and keeper. The store to carry proper meds, and try to not sell sick fish ( stores make more selling you fish than meds, as dry good margins are terrible), and the keeper to quarantine before adding to main system.

Agreed

I noticed Aquarium Central uses different nets for every tank, which would also help prevent spreading issues.

But isn't it possible that a store like Aquarium Central that has good systems in place still could have a problem with these worms?

For example, lets say they have five suppliers and one of their suppliers has callamanus worms. The fish arrive and are quarantined for a few weeks, then the fish are all sold in the next month (not sure how long fish usually stay in stores before they are all sold) From what I have read, Callamaus worms can take over six weeks to become big enough to be visible or start effecting the fish. So maybe the store never knows that this supplier has callamanus worms because the fish are sold, and either the customer doesn't know how they aquired the worms (bought different fish and plants from several places) or doesn't recognize that these worms killed ther fish, or they realize long after the fish guarantee is up so they don't complain to the store...

So in theory the store could have an issue with these worms (and a supplier) and never know?

anywho, here is a link i found about treating these worms (like that fact that the shrimp were fine!)

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/154/

I just had a fish die... not sure what from yet, and some of the group are also showing symptoms of illness, but I am doing some treatments so I hope they are all going to be OK! If the regular treatments don't work, then maybe I will try treating for these worms.

Unfortunately I have accepted this worm is part of the hobby and the only way to combat it is to QT everything.Yes it can take weeks for it to show its self, when it does you can consider your entire tank as infected.I now QT all fish for a month and de-worm.

As someone who has suffered through these parasites I really want to blame the LFS I believe they came from and I think that all LFS should be doing their part to stop the spread, but as many have mentioned it comes down to the business aspect.

And who knows perhaps these particular places Jayba has researched are doing all they can to prevent the spread, but callamanus are very tricky (I may STILL be dealing with them).

I have often wondered why myself, why anyone continues to buy fish from certain stores. People contact me looking for meds. I have sold lots to members. I started paying attention a long time ago to where these people said they got the infected fish from. I get a ton of requests for meds because of 2 stores in particular

It blows my mind that after me telling them these stores have a problem, they don't heed the warning. But they still continue to shop and get fish there. I hear people post that they buy fish at these stores, and that the store has certain fish in stock etc. This is why I have a Nandopsis clause on my signature. These people want to buy fish from me, and I won't sell to them as "You can't fix stupid."

I wouldn't take a free fish from these stores, and I won't give my money to these shops to keep their doors open either. I buy fish 90% of the time off members and friends that are smart enough to care for fish, and have them long enough that they essentially have quarantined them for me, and then they get QT'd again on my end.

There are certain ailments that stress can trigger in a fish, which I will never fault a store or person for passing along, others things I have no respect for. If I have a tank with something going on, they
aren't for sale. The end. If I think it's really bad and eventually terminal, they all get clove oil and a nap in the freezer.

I will not buy fish or goods from a store that I believe isn't doing what is in the best interest of their fish and customers. Unfortunately having individual fish tanks on their own sponge filter is about
as smart as you can be about it. But unless you have no substrate, and bleach the tank and filter between shipments it will spread. This is unrealistic of course, as who has room to have a controlled tank that is constantly seeding sponge filters that are placed in tanks after they have been torn down and disinfected?

Cursive Duck gave a good response, yet his store still has allowed me to sell a ton of medications to treat these worms passed along to their customers. But it is up to us to us as we have the fish and it now is our problem. As it can take 6-8 weeks for these things to get to the point where they are detectable. Really at the end of the day, we should educate ourselves, share information, QT fish properly and spend our money where we feel it is best spent.