Find Me A Pleco

kristarockstar

If you just want a pleco, then a candy cane/clown pleco is a good candidate and can usually be had for less than $10. Any of the Hypancistrus fit your size criteria, and sometimes you can find some for the $15-30 mark.

If you want something to take care of algae, then get a female BN if you don't want bristles. They really can't be beat for algae control. If your tank has lots of O2, hill stream loaches have a decent following on AA, and people say they do a decent job on algae.

theres a lady in the n.w. that sells long fin bristlenose^s, there real reasonable & in great shape, like jay said just get the females, her name is heather, home # 403 453 5066 cell # 403 973 6516,

I can vouch for both Female BN & hillstream loaches for algae control! I have 4 (1 adult, 1 juvie, 2 baby's) loaches & 2 BN baby females in my 30gal that gets alot of sunlight therefore tons of algae growth. I agree with you the male BN's "face spikeys" are creepy!

So far my algae "crew" has had plenty of food that they don't eat the "bottom feeder" foods I offer. I keep offering b/c I know I am "overstocked" but they prefer the real stuff. LOL maybe once they are all full grown (even the BN's are baby's LOL) I will need to supliment more.

I got my darker "common" BN at Big Al's for $6 (was only 3/4" long) & the albino who was about 2 1/2" was $12 @ Pisces. I was going to get some special guys from Harold but I couldn't justify the price to my husband so we went the more "common" route.

• 2 weeks later...

don't get a clown pleco they don't eat Algea at all, rubber lips are good, or the female BN, I have 9 Bristle nose in my 20 gallon, just small ones 1-2.5" I haven't cleaned the glass or any decore in months in there, just normal water changes with a gravel cleaning, the clown I have in there looks cool if you can find it, it's more a veggie eater or flake food, the rubber lip will eat anything dropped in as well as algea.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also suggest a colony of Ottocinclus of 4 or more, they do a great job on plants-very delicate also stay soooo small, are not agressive at all- I would suggest finding a reputable breeder or follow the suggestions above- female BN's are not funny faced and fantastic at cleaning!!!