Holding Female & No Male. Virgin Mary Fish?

Jayba

So, I have a single young female Otopharnyx Lithobates female that was trapped behind my 125 gallon background for a long while. I sold all the others, and finally trapped her. she has happily been hanging out in the front of the tank with 3 large angels, 12 corys, 14 L-134 plecos, 12 EB Rams. No problem, they all ignore each other.

Well today at feeding time I noticed she was a little timid and didn't come to dinner. Upon closer inspection I did notice she is holding a mouthful of eggs. Huh? There is no other cichlid in the tank other than the dwarfs and the angels. Any ideas? All I could come up with was she has unfertilized eggs in her mouth. But why would she do that?

Did that female ever have contact with a male at any point in her life? Shrimp can hold sperm for a while but not sure for this species. To deduce either unfert egg like you said or she already was holding sperm.

They externally fertilize the eggs, then take them into their mouths so unless she......ah nevermind. Lol

• 1 month later...

Yup, I have witnessed a separated hap. Ruby green and an zebra do the same. So I guess it happens.

I witnessed two mbuna females dancing together, both laid eggs and both females picked them up and tumbled for a few days. I felt a bit awkward watching :)

Well, it is legal in Canada. All I can say.. is good for her, not needing a male. They're highly over rated :tongue: (don't tell the mr. fcg I said that).