Help Me Choose A Canister Filter

Okotoks

Like the title says, I need a canister for a heavily planted tank about 80 gallons. I have a large aqua clear 110 and a fluval C3 cycling it for 4 weeks now. I have decided to go with a canister, but all I have ever owned are Fluvals canisters and would like other people's input on canisters. Will be heavily planted with bolivian rams and BN plecos populating it. Thanks in advance.

I started out with a fluval, worked great initially but I ended up replacing it with an Eheim x2.

Fluval 405, easy to clean, media is nicely seperated in baskets and the disconnect method is quick & easy. Problems I ran into were leakage on restart and the impellor cover tends to unclip. On a smaller note, no matter how much I cleaned the filter or the hoses, I always seemed to get alot of junk tossed back into the tank on restarts.

Eheims, media is harder to clean since it's not seperated into baskets for you. Disconnect is easy enough but requires taking apart 2 hoses. Only mechanical problems I've encountered over the last few years using them was that I accidentally pulled one of the hose connectors off (didn't realize they simply twist on). Had a scary moment or two figuring out how to reinstall it without having water go 'everywhere' :)

cheers,

I have a fluval 206 and it works well, very quiet and I like that media can be had anywhere. It seems to be pretty reliable but I would replace the hoses with smooth hosing to avoid the gunk spurts after servicing.

I am definitely an Eheim fan, I have a 2213, 2075 Pro 3, 2076 Pro 3e, 2078 Pro 3e and the 2262 monster running right now. I haven't used any other brands but there are some people on here that swear by Rena and maybe some day I will try one.

If you get a Pro 3 or Pro 3e, the media is held in baskets. I just cleaned one the other day, it was very quick and easy.

Ron

Ah yes, the age old question. All are good points, I have Fluval 305's and FX5's. Rena Xp3's and XP4's. Have owned Eheim 2215's and 2217's. I also own a couple Sun Sun's. All are a good filter, really it comes down to preference. Preference is more times than not, is brought on by price. Probably the easiest to clean for me are the Rena's, but at the same time, are the others that much less work, not really.....

It may come down to accessories included in the box, spray bar or not? Media included or not? Media replacement costs? Can you jimmy rig up media or do you need to buy original?

Really like I said before, most brands have good models and others aren't as strong. Eheim classics are troopers, along with the Fluval 305 405 etc. Renas are simple and keep on chugging, Sun Sun are good but the ratings are ISBL ratings, (If struck By Lightning), my FX5 I think is pretty good but I would like to try another monster like a 2262 for comparison.

You have to narrow it down to a few models, and then let us rate them, as it stands now there are a ton of variables to consider.

with a heavly planted tank and a low bioload I would suggest the 406, or the Ehiem pro 3 both are good units and parts are easy to get if you have problems, and any canister can have what ever media you want to put into it, it all comes down to what you want to spend.

Eheims, media is harder to clean since it's not seperated into baskets for you.

I place the filter media in a couple of mesh bags, easy to lift out, rinse, and put back in ;)

If you want a greater flow of water, then the Rena XP series is a good choice, one lever releases both hoses, and the media baskets are easy to clean ...

• 2 weeks later...

Had an eheim pro 2 loved it, worked amazing, easy to clean and prime, excellent hoses, (till hubby did WC for me and forgot to prime it and motor seized), have a fluval 404 works great as well except difficult to prime to restart, and the kinky hoses release the brown gunk back in once restarted. Both keep the water clean amazingly well. Fluval is easy to find replacement parts, Eheims not so much.

" knock offs " are junk. If a company is unwilling to design, develop and test their own products but instead steals someone else's work, what makes you think they won't skimp on the quality ?

• 1 month later...