Diy Screen Lid Help!

SilverWolf

Hi guys!

I want to make a screen lid for my 10G cause I'm not a fan of the glass top I have. I have Kuhli Loaches so I need to have a lid! I was thinking of a framed screen cover that overhangs the rim of the tank. Has anyone ever done a screen lid? Suggestions? Tips? I've never done this and will be flying by the seat of my pants!

Make a frame out of:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/metal-angle-satin-clear-3-4-inch-x-3-4-inch-x-8-feet/944255

and

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/8x1-2-ss-pan-hd-socket-metal-screw/956766

Then cut some window screen to size and glue with silicone on the underside of the frame.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/fiberglass-screen-precut-36-inch-x40-inch/982423

If you make the frame smaller than the rim, then it can sit on the same lip that the glass top used to sit on. If you make it bigger, then it can sit over top. I'd opt for inside rim for a cleaner look.

The only issue with the window type screen is it will block some of your light.

Maybe?

Hah! I totally forgot about egg crate. It is also available in chrome. I'd go that way for sure. It is so easy and cheap.

It use to come in chrome & gold and was called parabolic louvers in the lighting industry it is designed to direct light straight down another bonus. :thumbs:

Another idea would be go to The Habitat for Humanity store and get a screen frame for about 3 bucks. Pull out the screen and gasket, cut the metal to the length you want and reassemble. Just a thought.

Thanks guys!! That egg crate stuff, where can I check it out? Wouldn't the loaches be able to get through it? I have 2 that are confirmed jumpers which is why I got the glass top, but I hate the link bars in it and they run right through my light so I'm loosing light there already. I was thinking a wider screen cut, so the lil squares in it aren't so close together to allow better light to go through?

Hah! I totally forgot about egg crate. It is also available in chrome. I'd go that way for sure. It is so easy and cheap.

It use to come in chrome & gold and was called parabolic louvers in the lighting industry it is designed to direct light straight down another bonus. :thumbs:

I did a google search as eggcrate and it came up.. Otherwise ^^^